simple question, oil change reset - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
simple question, oil change reset

This my first post, just bought a 2010 ranger 2.3 liter, to do a dyi oil change and the idiot oil change light comes on, is there a dash procedure or do you have to clear code in obd ii can scanner. Manual has **** and the sales and service guy said theres no procedure he could see. usually trip button or something on dash. cant find any info anywhere on this on a ranger, other then disconnect battery and clear code with code checker.

this truck is bone base, 5 on the floor, no options, o I got cloth seats a luxury for me. hehehehehe

If I got to get a scanner whats the best for the buck , in either a laptop version or hand held. I 've been looking but buddy says they dont all work.

any info or manual direction appreciated, I'm a dyier, havent had a ranger since 89.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 12:09 PM

Rangers have an "oil change light" now? When did that happen? Sounds a little fishy to me. Are you sure you're not mistaking the oil *pressure* light?

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4000 View Post
Rangers have an "oil change light" now? When did that happen? Sounds a little fishy to me. Are you sure you're not mistaking the oil *pressure* light?
they are suppose to have a change your oil symbole light come up on the dash display, according to the service tech, I havent gotten to that point yet. I've been reading, most new vehicles have them. some its turned off by a procedure of using the trip odometer button or stepping on the gas or whatever and some vehicles you have to clear the code with a scanner.

being this a bare bones truck, when its time to change your oil light comes up or not. and if so how do you clear it.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 07:42 PM

Okay, I checked the online owner's manual for 2010's. There is no mention of any oil change light, or anything to do with resetting it. I'm pretty certain there isn't such a thing on the Ranger. If you look at the page of your owner's manual where it shows what all the idiot lights are on the instrument panel, there is not "oil change light".

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../10ranog2e.pdf

Those Ford engineers are pretty smart. Your "change oil light" has been premanently reset at the factory -- forever!

Keep in mind these trucks were designed in 1998 (and most of it long before that). Not many bells and whistles, which is good, IMHO. They've only put in newer gadgets like airbags, ABS, and now traction control, because of federal regulations.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4000 View Post
Okay, I checked the online owner's manual for 2010's. There is no mention of any oil change light, or anything to do with resetting it. I'm pretty certain there isn't such a thing on the Ranger. If you look at the page of your owner's manual where it shows what all the idiot lights are on the instrument panel, there is not "oil change light".

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../10ranog2e.pdf

Those Ford engineers are pretty smart. Your "change oil light" has been premanently reset at the factory -- forever!

Keep in mind these trucks were designed in 1998 (and most of it long before that). Not many bells and whistles, which is good, IMHO. They've only put in newer gadgets like airbags, ABS, and now traction control, because of federal regulations.
yea this ones burning my rear end, because alot of other ford vehicles dont have the procedure in the manual. I have researched this one well,

service manager wasnt sure on a base model either, pointed to oil can light.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
cant download that pdf , looks like you need permission/password.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 AM

Hmm, pdf works fine for me. It's just the exact same thing as the manual that came with your truck.

I'm pretty sure there's no "change oil light" on Rangers. My 2007 has the exact same layout (okay, it's a Mazda B4000 SE, but it's exactly the same). The instrument cluster is all the same whether or not it's a "base model". They've been virtually unchanged for a decade.

There's only one light on the instrument cluster related to oil, and that's for oil pressure, and nothing else. No OnStar, either.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 03:02 PM

where is the light located?the ford manuels don't list a oil change reminder,can you take a picture of it?

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 08:20 PM

Garage
My 08 doesn't have an oil change light and there is no mention of it in the manual.

2014 F150 FX4 | SuperCrew | 5.0L | 4x4 | Sterling Grey Metallic
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRanger View Post
My 08 doesn't have an oil change light and there is no mention of it in the manual.
I did some deeper research and I can find a change oil symbol on the dash symbols in the manual or any mention on line after 2 days of searching, even have a friends friend checking his garage manuals, for change oil procedure if theres one.

I wouldnt be looking if wasnt that the service manager mentioned that there was one, looks like there isnt one and he not up on a base model,I will find out when it hits 12000 kms.

I'm not big on using 5w20 oil but warranty calls for it, what did you folks with 2007 , 2008 use in your engines for a 2.3? was it 5w30?

Still got my 1989 haynes repair manual, comparing the changes then and now in the engine.