Think your mileage is bad now? It's about to get worse. - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Think your mileage is bad now? It's about to get worse.

Must rant ... must rant ...

Quote:
Want to make $100? It's easy. You send me $550. Cash or cheque. In exchange, I will send you a cool $100. Cash or cheque. Or a money order, if you prefer.

Is that a deal or what? No? Only a fool would fall for this? Well, then, the government of Canada is run by fools -- because it is about to implement a new environmental regulation which delivers $1 in benefit for every $5.50 it costs.

By September, if the new law comes into force, an average of five per cent of the fuel content of gasoline will have to come from renewable fuels made from corn or wheat. Long discussed, the government formally announced at the beginning of April that it would go ahead with the regulation.
http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...754/story.html

Looks like the federal government has gone ahead and wants to make it mandatory to water-down your gasoline with ethanol. Since ethanol has 30% less energy content per volume than gasoline, what this means is you'll be paying the same -- or probably more -- for the same volume of fuel, but it won't get you as far as it used to.

I used to occassionally get gas at Husky/Mohawk when any other station wasn't immediately available. I began to notice I'd be getting around 10%-20% worse mileage whenever I did that. Then I realized they advertise their fuel with "up to 10% ethanol" -- like that's a bonus, or something.

It seems to me if Husky was selling me 90% gasoline, and 10% of a liquid which was of no use to me, they should be giving a 10% discount on their "gas" -- probably more of a discount to make up for the fact that I have to fill up more often when using their ethanol crap.

But there's no discount. They sell fuel for the same price as legitimate gas stations who don't water-down their gasoline.

Now we're not going to be able to avoid this rip-off any more. Why? Because, apparently, we're "saving the planet"(tm) -- or so the environmentalists tell us. Of course, it'll do no such thing because it's just a symbolic feel-good move to give environmentalists a warm/fuzzy feeling inside. On the other hand, it will cost us all more money and make us poorer ... again.

I'm starting to get the feeling that's what these "environmentalists" are really after.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 12:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to Northern Supercrew
The American's have been complaining about this for years..On all the other forums i frequent, this topic comes up steady...So many gas stations offer E85 that it seems it's more available than straight gas. It's supposed to increase power..the 09-10 5.4 makes 10 more horses on E85...but, yep..the mileage sucks..I hope to never see it much up here....thank you Stephen Harper

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
SSI tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 02:47 AM

I've actually noticed that around me, there is already 10% ethanol in regular, mid grade and premium. I've bought chevron 94 octane the last couple fill ups. It is not supposed to have ANY ethanol. Almost a 4 mpg increase..... costs 20 cents a liter more though

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 07:44 AM

Garage
If you think ethanol is bad, try methanol. Methanol burns just as clean if not cleaner but delivers even lower mileage. It's also being considered. Biodiesel is no better. In order to produce it we'll need to eat more french fries. This will require more biodiesel fuel to transport our "getting fatter' arses from point A to B. Electric isn't the answer. If you think auto mechanics are expensive, try an electrician. And before you say electricity is easy, which it is, the dyi's will tinker until their first, and likely last, 300 volt shock, then their widows will have the car towed to their local electric service center, which will start popping up. My suggestion, start investing in stock for companies producing electrically insulated gloves. This may offset your ethanol fuel prices.

Electrician, powered by Tim Hortons, brought to you by Ford. Java Inside!
The Past - 1976 F-350 Crew Cab 1992 - 2006 RIP
The Past - 1995 F-150 XL Enforcer All Gear Drive 2008 - 2015
The Present - 1993 F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel Super Cab 4x4 2015 - ?
The Future - Who knows?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 AM

we have had the 15% ethanol stuff for years in edmonton
22L/100km for me on 94 octane with 15%

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 01:27 PM

That is good to know. Thanks for the info.

I was scratching my head why I sometimes got 100kms less on a fuel tank...

It now makes perfect sense since I mostly fuel up at one of 2 places: one near work (ESSO with no ethanol) and the other near my house (Husky with 10% ethanol). Now I know that the ESSO tank gets me further... so I don't think I'll be returning to Husky anytime soon!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 01:43 PM

All husky gas is 2 octane points above any other station esso,shell.
Ie regular gas at husky is 89 octane, mid is 92 and supreme is 94

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 01:46 PM

how do you find out how much ethanol is in the gas ? Do the gas companies advetise it anywhere at the pumps ? I usually fill up at Shell and am curious b/c the last time I went to FasGas I got worse mileage ... but chalked it up to driving pattern
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 01:57 PM

It says on the pumps around here

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 02:36 PM

Says on the pump. Husky says upto 15%