Rear oil seal - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Rear oil seal

I have recently purchased an older (1981) Motor home. It's built on a Ford E350 with a 460 engine and an Auto transmission. I noticed oil leaking from the engine area and had the valve cover gaskets replaced. But it's still leaking.
We have pretty much narrowed it down to the rear seal. The cost of repair is $1000.00 approx.

My question is. What will happen if i don't fix it? It's not leaking very much, two or three drops after shut down. With an automatic I don't have to worry about oil on my clutch.

Can these seals blow right out of place? causing major engine damage?

The unit has a odometer reading of 60,000 kms. I'm reasonably sure this accurate.

I would appreciate any advise you can give on this subject.

Thanx

The Older I get the better I was!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:48 PM

Garage
60,000 kms or 60,000 miles? 1981 was pretty close to transition aftermath. Can't remember if that was a 2 piece or 1 piece seal. If it's a 2 piece, they almost always leak from the day the engine was put into service. And it would be about a couple of drops unless it was really bad. Usually 300,000 kms or more under typical conditions. It would take a couple of sticks of dynamite to get that seal to blow out. Rear main bearing cap has to come off to change it which requires dropping the oil pan. The 1 piece, and I'm sure someone will correct me on this, is either bolted on the rear of the engine or pressed into the back of the block. This seal may cause a little more concern for leaks, but not much under normal use. More concern on a motorhome because it isn't put into service as often. The seal could be dry and cracked. Both require the transmission to be moved back or removed. If your going to have the transmission removed for service in the future, then that would be the best time to have the seal looked at and/or replaced. Keep checking the oil level. If it drops significantly in a short period of time then start saving them dollars.

Electrician, powered by Tim Hortons, brought to you by Ford. Java Inside!
The Past - 1976 F-350 Crew Cab 1992 - 2006 RIP
The Past - 1995 F-150 XL Enforcer All Gear Drive 2008 - 2015
The Present - 1993 F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel Super Cab 4x4 2015 - ?
The Future - Who knows?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Thank You for the prompt reply!!! If there is no chance of doing more damage It would be wiser to wait to do a repair? If what you say about it leaking from the get go is true, maybe a replacement would be a waste of time?

If All I have to do is add a liter of oil every 1000 kms and put up with oil drops in the drive way, maybe that's the best thing to do......

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Knightruler is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was thinking of not doing it at all. What would the repercussions be if I did nothing?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:36 AM

Have you tried any of the engine oil additives with seal conditioners, ie. a "stop-leak" type of additive? A good mechanic suggested I try that on an older truck I had some years ago, to save a few bucks. He said some of the new additives are pretty good. I figured it was worth a shot, and sure enough, it worked for me.

This was for older, dried up seals/gaskets. My truck would have been around 15 or 16 years old at the time. No *major* leaks, but just the little pesky kind, like yours.

I think the chemicals work by causing the material in the seals to swell up a bit, and restore some of the resiliance. Can't remember the brand I used -- possibly Bardahl? Certainly didn't seem to harm the engine, and it ran fine afterward for years, until I sold it. For all I know, it's still going strong.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

My Thanx to all who replied. I have an extended warranty and I'm now waiting to see if that will cover it.

Thanx again!!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 11:49 PM

i would fix it .... the rv must only have 60,000 on it because thay dont get driven much, thay do a lot more sitting around. i would get the seal fixed and do a oil pan gasket and front main seal at the same time, you already there, and there would be nothin to worry about when ur on the road, or at the trailer park, it would be a good peace of mind.

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:01 AM

Garage
Update - You should have the 2 piece seal but the oil pan has to be dropped. Good news is that the transmission shouldn't have to come out. Since you'll have the pan out and the rear main bearing off, check bearing condition and maybe put in a high volume oil pump. Also, check timing chain free play.

Electrician, powered by Tim Hortons, brought to you by Ford. Java Inside!
The Past - 1976 F-350 Crew Cab 1992 - 2006 RIP
The Past - 1995 F-150 XL Enforcer All Gear Drive 2008 - 2015
The Present - 1993 F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel Super Cab 4x4 2015 - ?
The Future - Who knows?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

I got my motor home back yesterday, and there is no oil leaking this morning. I didn't think my warranty would cover it but it did. It cost me $CAD 201.00. I'm a happy camper.

Thanks to all who helped, it was much appreciated!!!!