FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts (https://www.fordtough.ca/forums/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.fordtough.ca/forums/94-gas-engines/)
-   -   NEED HELP: The Oil Conundrum Synthetic or Conventional (https://www.fordtough.ca/forums/94-gas-engines/10962-oil-conundrum-synthetic-conventional.html)

charleybrown 11-16-2011 10:44 PM

The Oil Conundrum Synthetic or Conventional

Have about 5000K on 2011 ECO Boost 6 thinking of changing the oil for the first one at 5K.Here is the Question ,what do people think about using synthetic oil or regular oil also I notice that Ford is saying 5w 30 for the V6 3.5. Also there is a different filter asked for in the supplemental #FL 2055 but my service adviser at Ford says they have added a supp to the supp and advise this isn,t necessary using the standard FL500S is ok.Any help here will be appreciated.

quick98gtp 11-24-2011 10:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Just going by experience, in my 98 gtp I have always used quaker state full synthetic, 5w30. I have been driving this car for over 10 years and It's a little modified, (lol) I have NEVER babied this car, really driven the crap out of it, at the track and on the street, so i am using this oil in my truck as it has never let me down. It's a little pricey, but I just wait till it goes on sale at CT and grab 4 or 5 jugs. Hope this helps!! Tony

BlairTruck 11-24-2011 10:54 PM

I grab a few jugs of mobil1 5w30 when it goes on sale at crappy tire

hey quick98gtp were you on FOrdpower.ca back in the day?

quick98gtp 11-28-2011 05:37 AM

4 Attachment(s)
nope, was never a ford guy, till I bought my truck

SVT4MT 11-28-2011 07:15 AM

Check the owners manual and talk to the guys at the Service Desk. I'm thinking that as long as you're running the recommended grade and following the service interval, it shouldn't matter too much.

Not too sure what you're getting at in regards to the filters and supplements (added a supp to the supp ??) Do you have to run a different filter for synthetic use in the 3.5 ?

charleybrown 11-28-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVT4MT (Post 106405)
Check the owners manual and talk to the guys at the Service Desk. I'm thinking that as long as you're running the recommended grade and following the service interval, it shouldn't matter too much.

Not too sure what you're getting at in regards to the filters and supplements (added a supp to the supp ??) Do you have to run a different filter for synthetic use in the 3.5 ?

The supliments I am talking about is the Canadian manual suppliment it recomended a differrent filter for the 3.5 Ecoboost but the service guy at the dealership showed me a directive from Ford that says the regular filter has taken place of the wierd filter so .He gave me a copy of the directive for my travel in the U S . Now I have decided to change the oil at or close to 5K and use the regular filter as to regular or synthetic I will probably go to synthetic after an initial period thanks for the help

Big Daddy D. 11-29-2011 08:32 AM

I know someone who works closely with the engineers at the Ford Plant in Oakville, would you like me to ask him ?

Personally, after the intial run in perod, i would be looking at using Royal Purple Synth. and K&N filters on that motor.

How do you find living the Ecoboost motor so far? I'm very interested in this motor, after watching Fords torture test of one on youtube.

charleybrown 12-16-2011 08:02 PM

I Love the engine so far .The pickup off the line should you use it is great .The big test will come on a road trip pulling our two horse trailer to florida .It's our 4th trip and has always been done with my 150 with the 5.4 v8 .I have used the truck on short runs with the trailer and it has the same pulling power as the v8.I guess the advantage will be driving it without the traier the milage should be better .I'm getting 13Lts per 100 Km now combined town and highway.I will make a report on the trip we leave about dec 27th and take 3 days to get down on I 75 .If it's not too much trouble I would like more info about the oil .I have changed at 5000 k and have about 8000 now .I can use synth if it's going to help Ive never used the oil milage computer before ,Ive always changed at 5000 and that has worked out with the 5.4 220,000 and not a drop between changes .

b4000 12-16-2011 08:45 PM

My 2cents -- the only advantage to synthetic is that it maintains its viscosity at low temperatures -- I'm talking -25 to -30 deg C range -- which makes for easier starting at cold temperatures.

Once the engine is up to temperature, it doesn't matter. And if you use a block heater, the regular oil will flow just as well as the synthetic at low temperatures when starting.

I don't know of any magical properties of synthetic oil beyond that. Unless Ford requires synthetic for that engine, for some reason?

smokeshow 01-20-2012 10:48 PM

I'll let the experts do the talking for me guys...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

my 2 cents is that synthetic is superior to conventional in keeping itself together in both cold temps and at very high temps where your conventional oil would start to break down. Differences in the brands? I dunno I just grab mobil 1 at stupidstore and whatever is on sale at CT.