Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Very Poor KM per L

NEED HELP: 
4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Destructicon 
#1 ·
We have a 2014 F150 Ecoboost with a heavy tow package. We are towing a 20 ft travel trailer that weighs approx 4000 lbs when fully loaded and we aren't even half loaded. As well it spends more time in 5th gear with the RPM over 2000. We are on a fairly flat highway and even the slightest incline causes it to rev. We are only getting 3.9 km per litre aand the more we drive the worse its getting. This is a huge problem and expensive as well. Does anyone have any suggestions? We talked to our dealer and he said it should be doing way better than that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

#4 ·
Km/L is kinda hard to work with. Is there a display or something on the truck that you're getting that number from?

Have you done a hand MPG calculation? It's hard to judge it off a partial tank.

Check the mileage when you fill it up. See how many km you get and how many litres you need.

#7 ·
If you're getting 3.9Km/L of fuel that equates to 390km to 100L of fuel. That's 25.56L/100km or 9.2 MPG. That is low even for towing, especially that weight. I'd expect pulling 4k pounds you'd be low, but maybe in the 12 MPG range.

I do recall reading that the Ecoboost trucks actually get worse fuel economy towing than the 5.0L V8 trucks. Not that that helps anything but it's a point of interest.

#8 ·
That is Ecoboost towing fuel consumption. They can pull but use lots of fuel. My 2014 5.0 with 3.73's averaged around 20l per 100 on a trip pulling a car carrier in February which saw everything from 120k cruise speed to 45k per hour in 6" of snow. Drove from Toronto to Washington return in those conditions.

This is the same reason why I wouldn't recommend an Ecoboost on a lifted truck. Fuel consumption gets bad.

#9 ·
10 mpg doesnt sound bad for a small engine like an ecoboost towing a trailer, a lot depends on your driving habits too. steady headwind can drag you down a lot too. 2000 rpm sounds like its way low for its powerband.

my diesel clubwagon gets anywhere from 12mpg to 19mpg towing a trailer depending on how hard I want to drive it and the load, but road conditions and weather play a part.
my van and trailer weigh 10,000 lbs empty and I carried a 6500lb extended van on the trailer last week , I averaged 16.9 mpg 10,000lbs there 16,500 home into a head wind and very hilly roads. but I take it out of overdrive before it kicks down, I didnt use the cruise. and never broke 110km.

I calculate every tank of fuel manually, have got 21mpg towing with a VW Jetta on the trailer and steady 105k on the 401, and over 25mpg no trailer a few tanks out west.

you might want to drop a gear if its only running at 2000rpm, that's were my 7.3 powerstroke likes to work not a 3.5 ecoboost. slow down a little and dont use your cruise, will help a lot.

y

#11 ·
you might want to drop a gear if its only running at 2000rpm, that's were my 7.3 powerstroke likes to work not a 3.5 ecoboost. slow down a little and dont use your cruise, will help a lot.
Good point. That Ecoboost makes 420ld/fts but that's at 2500rpm. Towing at 2000 rpm does seem a little low, that's more like cruising unloaded RPM. The OP mentioned it was equipped with max tow package so it should also have 3.73 gears.

I find Ford has an aggressive cruise control strategy. The slightest loss of speed and it kicks down. I can hold speed without the converter unlocking on large hills with pedal pressure, the same hill with the cruise on it kicks down.

#10 ·
Ecoboost is Ecobust. Point proven, time and again. It stands for Economical boost for oil companies.

#12 ·
I thought my 4.6L was bad it gets 14.5-15 mpg fully loaded pulling a trailer and driving like its a stockcar. Guess thats another reason to keep mine for now.

#16 ·
You mean you can't do that with the trailer?

#18 ·
Ok, I'm doing it right then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.