Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

'88 Ranger XLT 2.9L-FI 4X4 FWH

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  glassman08 
#1 · (Edited)
1988 Ranger XLT 2.9L-FI 4X4 FLH [Front Locking Hubs]

I need to know if it's possible to adjust the timing / idling on my Ranger,

as it 'IDLES' fine when I first start-up - although as it heats up in traffic and I

come to a stop ... my RPM begins to drop between 700-800 RPM ... at times

feels like it wants to stall-out ... any ideas on how to rectify the issue?

Some people say it's not possible [computer-controlled] others tell me it is

possible with timing light ... need some help here!

Awaiting ALL input

Thanks

glassman

#2 ·
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Kunz_Korner.htm

How to Time TFI Fords (most 86 and up Fords with distributors)

Posted by Pat Kunz on April 21, 1998 at 13:09:12:

This problem keeps on popping up now and then so I thought that I would put up this procedure for all to see. In order to time a TFI Ford you must first get the engine warm enough that it idles at the correct rpm. Next turn the engine off and look for the spout connector, It's got two wires going into it from the bottom and has a removable pill that kinda has a mushroom shape to it, it will be located normally somewhere around the distributor. Remove this pill, and place it somewhere where it won't get lost. Restart the engine and with a timing light adjust the distributor to the proper advance stated on the emissions label, usually 10 degrees advance on most Fords. After you got the timing set, snug down the distributor and restart and double check that the timing stayed where it was supposed to. turn off engine, and place pill back in spout connector. Restart engine, the timing should now be quite a bit higher than ten but this is normal, give the engine a little throttle and check to see if the computer is advancing the timing, if it is everything is fine and your done.

#5 ·
the spout connectors purpose is to retard the timing. Example on a 5.O you set the timing to 10degrees advanced and when the connector is installed it reads 6degrees on the timing light

#6 ·
THANKS

THANKS FOR THE INFO:B)

glassman

How to Time TFI Fords (most 86 and up Fords with distributors)

Posted by Pat Kunz on April 21, 1998 at 13:09:12:

This problem keeps on popping up now and then so I thought that I would put up this procedure for all to see. In order to time a TFI Ford you must first get the engine warm enough that it idles at the correct rpm. Next turn the engine off and look for the spout connector, It's got two wires going into it from the bottom and has a removable pill that kinda has a mushroom shape to it, it will be located normally somewhere around the distributor. Remove this pill, and place it somewhere where it won't get lost. Restart the engine and with a timing light adjust the distributor to the proper advance stated on the emissions label, usually 10 degrees advance on most Fords. After you got the timing set, snug down the distributor and restart and double check that the timing stayed where it was supposed to. turn off engine, and place pill back in spout connector. Restart engine, the timing should now be quite a bit higher than ten but this is normal, give the engine a little throttle and check to see if the computer is advancing the timing, if it is everything is fine and your done.[/QUOTE]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.