Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a couple weeks I am getting a 1964 ford f350 with 7.00x17 tires/rims. I priced out tires here in canada and it will cost over $2500. Only one place in town will change tires on split rims and they charge min $50 per rim. So at least another $200. Other problem is tires are not available until March. Not to mention the rating is 1/2 the millage of radials.

I am considering swapping rims to accommodate a 235/80/17 are there any 6 lug rims that will bolt on? Are there any other option other then spending 2700 every few years. Maybe different rims with spacers. I have spoken to a guy who is getting me a price on custom rims that look like originals. However he figures 200-300 per rim. I really want to keep it looking close to time period. It has the original 9 foot box that I plan to restore.

I spoke to a truck shop who said the could put 235/80/17 with heavy duty tubes in them, this idea gets mixed reviews.

Any info will be appreciated as I have no experience with this type of rim.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Attachments

·
Registered
918 Posts
do the new wheels .. no question

and maybe talk to the tire guy about tire size options for 17 vs 18 inch wheels --FIRST

I just found a deal on 17 inch winter tires for my truck and there seems many more options for the newer 18 inch rim size than my 17's

·
Super Moderator
1,709 Posts
Welcome to FordTough! International used the same bolt pattern. Two options I see spend the money on non-lock-ring rims so modern tires and tire shops can be utilized or change the hubs to 8 bolt pattern, 6.5 inch bolt circle. Then you have a wide variety of tire options.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called every junk yard in a 200 km radius no rims out there. I have little interest In changing hubs.

Is there any reason I cant put 235/80/17 on the slit rims until I can find a better solution. I have been told by the tire shop yes they can but I dont want to be out tires if they dont work

·
Registered
918 Posts
so , I googled wheels with 6x61/2 bolt pattern and got :

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...kKHcqYBPYQsAR6BAgEEAE&biw=853&bih=413&dpr=1.5

scrolling down the page I see a couple of wheels that at least look similar and coincide with my first thought looking at the pic of your wheel

..looks like the front wheel off a tractor

.. funny thing , the pics on the page ARE "implement wheels"

I wonder IF they are DOT legal...at highway speeds???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is there any reason I can't put radials with tube on the split rims until I find new rims or have them rebuilt. I might have found a guy who might be able to build them locally but I don't know all the specs.

anyone know the offset and back spacing on the firestone rh 5

17 in rim 5.5 6 lug 7.25

·
Registered
918 Posts
my advice would be to ditch the split rims..

I worked at an auto wreckers one summer
a couple of months before I started a guy in the tire shop had a little accident with a split rim on the tire machine
- 2 - 3 months later the blood stain , a BIG one was still on the ceiling above the tire machine
we referred to it as "bruce's" face..as there was quite a bit of it up there..

that said here's some discussion on the topic of new tires on your old rims
hope it helps

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/split-rims.870131/

·
Super Moderator
1,709 Posts
Split rims require inner tubes. To my knowledge, inner tubes and tubeless tires don't get along too well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What hoops would I need to have the centers welded in. Anyone already have this done in the maritimes.

·
Super Moderator
1,709 Posts
Yes some of them do and no they're not legal for highway use on anything other than tractors and such. Not meant for more than 50 km/h.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Every one I've spoken to at the yard says they just use a radial and tube, or swap rear ends or hubs to get a more common wheel, any ideas what bolts up .

·
Super Moderator
1,709 Posts
At first thought, anything up to 1997. More in depth research would need to be done for a hub swap. Do you know which rear axle you have and what type of front axle you have?

·
Registered
4 Posts
my advice would be to ditch the split rims..

I worked at an auto wreckers one summer
a couple of months before I started a guy in the tire shop had a little accident with a split rim on the tire machine
- 2 - 3 months later the blood stain , a BIG one was still on the ceiling above the tire machine
we referred to it as "bruce's" face..as there was quite a bit of it up there..

that said here's some discussion on the topic of new tires on your old rims
hope it helps

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/split-rims.870131/
nice advice

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey, thanks for the insights. I'm in search of new wheels at 4wheelonline to replace my current stock. Though I haven't figure out if will stick with the tires currently installed or have it change altogether with the rims.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My thanks ahead of time for any answers. I'm replacing the rear drum brakes and cylinders and I remember hearing somewhere that if you ever remove or need to replace the cylinder and the vehicle has ABS, it must be taken to a shop to have them bleed the air out due to a special system that the ABS includes. I have a Haynes manual that says the same. But other videos and guides don't mention this, just that brakes need to be bled out of course. Do I need to take it in or am I free to do it all at home?

·
Super Moderator
1,709 Posts
I've never had problems bleeding my own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My thanks ahead of time for any answers. I'm replacing the rear drum brakes and cylinders and I remember hearing somewhere that if you ever remove or need to replace the cylinder and the vehicle has ABS, it must be taken to a shop to have them bleed the air out due to a special system that the ABS includes. the vehicle treats I have a Haynes manual that says the same. But other videos and guides don't mention this, just that brakes need to be bled out of course. Do I need to take it in or am I free to do it all at home?
no response.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts