Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, well I was out last night, we have had a good amount of snow this past week and it was snowing last night, 4wd has been working fine, ive been staying in 4hi, then all of a sudden last night when I go to accelerate it starts this baad grinding noise and it almost feels like I loose traction then it will stop then do it again.. any ideas? I searched but couldn't find anything really similar to what I was experiencing. Any help is appreciated. I have a 1998 F150 4x4

· Registered
25 Posts
i kinda had a similar experience, 97 explorer, off road, transfercase blew apart, not sure if they'd have the same t-case or not. Put your truck on ice and watch or have someone watch to see what the front wheels are doing

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have drove on dry pavement before, but nothing for long amounts of time or anything. What can I do to determine what it is? Flip, won't the wheels turn anyways or what am I looking for?

· Registered
2,101 Posts
Well I just had this TYPE of prob with the bleubeast(F350) brutal grinding noise in 4x4, Ended up needing new hubs and UJoints. On my Black truck after my lift, I traveled a little more then the recomended 100miles before retorque and my transfercase dropped just enough to start grinding in 4x4....that got me torqin' preety quick

· Registered
16 Posts
The 98 F-150 have a vacuum actuated fork on the axle. Sometimes these tabs break off and only partally engauge the 4x4.Try removing the vacuum actuator and see if the fork moves with little or no effort.

· Premium Member
3,918 Posts
The 98 F-150 have a vacuum actuated fork on the axle. Sometimes these tabs break off and only partally engauge the 4x4.Try removing the vacuum actuator and see if the fork moves with little or no effort.
Exactly, or check the shift motor the linkage may be damaged or stuck

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It turned out to be my front drive shaft, all spines and everything toast on the shaft and the slip yoke.. it was round and smooth. funny because just overnight it started slipping and everything worked fine before. So the shaft the yoke and the ujoints done - $450 later, 4wd works better then ever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.