Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A/C recharging?

OK, here is my scenario. I am in a remote area so no access to a/c vacuum and recharge services/tools. My only option are the DIY cans like Red Tek cans. I am guessing the truck is R134a and cannot find those from Canada but do see them online from the states. Would they go through the border or will I be able to just recharge the system with R22a or R12a or whatever is available in Canada?

·
Super Moderator
1,688 Posts
Adapter's are different between 12 and 134. You can adapt a 12 system for 134. I've done it. I don't recommend going backwards. The sticker to ID which one you have is usually found on top of the rad support. A number of auto parts places carries them here. Shipping may be a problem. They are propane based.

Reactions: Northern Supercrew

·
Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
Just read on a Red Tek can that 12a is a direct replacement for 134a. No retrofit required. Don't know if this is too late but there you go.

·
Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
Hey Darryl, Arctic F-150, just looked at your album for the first time. Impressive, really enjoyed it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. just checked and it is R134a. Charge is 2.25lbs and 8 oz capacity. I see Canadian Tire has this not to far from me but will have to get it shipped DG so most likely at a hefty price.

Truck still gets a bit cool. Not max cold like it used to. My concern is would I be able to just add the product in link and would the connection fit on low side? Planning on selling truck as I am getting a '17 Explorer XLT that I really liked with the 3.5L, most of the add-ons. Do not want to damage it if I try this recharge, but at same time would like to get the a/c proper for next owner.

·
Super Moderator
1,688 Posts
If that's so then get it done right. A/C in a can is propane based and has led to a few injuries to mechanics not knowing it has it in. Some won't even service it if they find it in the system.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WELL, i went ahead, bit the bullet and decided to try it. Followed directions and when I connected it my pressure was at 65-70 psi on low side port. The instructions says to charge between 30-38 psi. So turns out am way too high psi which I do not know how ti got that high as am assuming since new it was at correct readings but since it started acting up over a year ago it somehow got high pressure and that is why it cannot blow cold/dry air? Only used 1/2-3/4 of one can as didn't wan't to overcharge anymore then it already is.

·
Super Moderator
1,688 Posts
The clutch on the compressor is engaging and turning?

·
Super Moderator
1,688 Posts
Pressure switch may be shot or the clutch coil. The pressure should be removable without evacuating. Jumper the pressure switch for a few seconds while running and see if it turns.

Reactions: Arctic F-150

·
Super Moderator
1,688 Posts
Not trying to be a smart-ass, but, did you jumper the switch or the plug? It has to be the plug that you jumper. Also forgot, did you check the fuse? You may also have a high pressure switch that keeps the system from blowing up. Also try turning the compressor clutch by hand without the engine running, of coarse. While the pulley will turn freely, the clutch should have some resistance to it but should be turnable by hand. Usually, the compressor clutch and coil are replaceable without evacuating the system.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not trying to be a smart-ass, but, did you jumper the switch or the plug? It has to be the plug that you jumper. Also forgot, did you check the fuse? You may also have a high pressure switch that keeps the system from blowing up. Also try turning the compressor clutch by hand without the engine running, of coarse. While the pulley will turn freely, the clutch should have some resistance to it but should be turnable by hand. Usually, the compressor clutch and coil are replaceable without evacuating the system.
Yes, I did jump the plug as figured since not plugged the switch wouldn't be connected and therefore wouldn't have any reading. Fuse was first thing I changed to verify. Just checked the clutch and it does move freely with very little resistance. Thanks for all your help Destructicon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Nissan Titan suddenly started blowing hot air. I checked various forums to find out what my problem is. I have two guesses either it needed refueling, or there was a leak somewhere in the system. I was able to diagnose my problem-a leaking compressor-and I immediately tried to do self-repair. In the past, I had a bad experience with car repair shops that overcharged for similar aircon service. I coped perfectly with the replacement of the compressor and decided to spend the money saved on a high-quality R22. But only I had to look for a reliable R22 supplier to insure myself against further breakdowns.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts