Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ladies/gents,

I'm going to be starting looking at getting all my mods ordered for spring and i was wondering if you could lend any advice to a fairly new L owner as these will be my first mods to the truck since i've owned her:

starting off, i already have a FTVB, 4#lower, JLP intake, JLP traction bars, SCT chip, magna-flow exhaust, autometer boost gauge (all done by previous owner).

I am looking at going to a 6# lower, afco dual pass intercooler rad w/ fans, SCT 90mm MAF, SCT chip (multiple tunes) and a tune from steeda in milton ontario, stiegemeier port w/ rotor strip and snout rebuild, clean the intercooler, new plugs (TR6) gapped to .034, drive shaft loop, autometer A/F gauge – fuel pressure gauge and aeroforce interceptor gauge, new fuel filter, and nitto 555DR’s. possibly a line lock kit too (is this really needed?)

My only other mod is possibly going w/ an upper pulley. I am unsure of what to go w/ or if it’s even worth it, and obviously I need a tensioner as there will be more belt slip.
Also, how much extra belt size is needed if you add a tensioner on?

Any input is appreciated!!
Oh, and I do plan on owning my L for a long time, and I don’t see a build motor or whipple/KB in the near future.

Thanks,
Sean

· Registered
324 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ hahaha Do you plan on racing her on the track??
If so add on to your mods tranny break you don't need line lock , get stage 2 nos :p :)

AS for intercoolers check out
Spearco not sure if they make them for lightnings , but there #1 in the diesel world

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing, so I have a chance.
well tim i cant do that....i wanna WIN...lol, and i dont think im going w/ the upper pulley...that's too much heat and boost for the stock block...just a 6# lower

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ hahaha Do you plan on racing her on the track??
If so add on to your mods tranny break you don't need line lock , get stage 2 nos :p :)

AS for intercoolers check out
Spearco not sure if they make them for lightnings , but there #1 in the diesel world
i dont know how the tranny brake would work for burnouts (thats what my line lock would be used for). i dont know if i really even need it, i just do little burnouts and i can make the tire light up w/o holding the brakes.

i looked up Spearco and they do make an intercooler for the Lightning...$1,000 though, and just for the intercooler...no fans....i wish i had that kind of $$

thanks for the info so far gents....really appreciate it! and its more than im getting on svtperformance and f150online....damn americans dont like helping us canadians!!!!

· Premium Member
3,918 Posts
Here Ya Go.....

FLUIDYNE has what you are loooking for look down the page near the bottom

http://www.fluidyne.com/pl_intercoolers.html

FORD TRUCK

Core Size: 20.5Wx 7.88H x 3.15D
Core Style: 3-row with 1 inch tubes
Overall Size: 25.5 W x 8.1H x 3.5D

Special Notes: Direct Fit bolt in replacement
for origional Lightning/Harley truck
supercharger cooler.

FHP30-LIGHTNING 02-03 Harley Davidson F150 Truck 3 Row - - Supercharger Cooler-Cooler
FHP30-LIGHTNING 99-04 SVT Lightning 3 Row
- Supercharger Cooler-Cooler

· Registered
2,303 Posts
If you are gonna run slicks then you'll need a driveshaft loop installed. NHRA rules or they wont let you run. At least they are not supposed too. And Smoke if you wanna win ALL the time then you can race me and my blazingly fast 18s turtle :icon_lol: But just remember I do tend to hit walls so watch out :icon_lol:

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey tim aka smokefan, this is for you: (f150online.com)

"Originally Posted by TrackBeast
Looks like you already did your homework.

Take it to Joe Dasilva. He'll get that baby humming for you.

Steeda in Milton have little to no experience with Lightnings, and basically don't know their ass from their elbow."

that's just someones opinion for me as to where to go for my summer tune....why can't there just be a stang/lightning tuner in ontario!!! ARGH!!!
you told me steeda was good, so i dunno what to do.
guess i have to go and call both places now to see how much experience each has w/ lightnings...i dont want to blow up w/ these new mods!

· Registered
4,153 Posts
In the tuning ontario world there are 2 camps, steeda and da silva. It is a very divided line, they both specialize in Stangs and do very little of anything else. I have never delt with da silva but have had some dealings with Steeda.

· Premium Member
3,918 Posts
Why not talk to Mike Troyer at Troyer Preformance he is in the states and it takes a while to get a tune but big deal the tuning is great, sometimes you need to go to the wizard

My truck actually passes the e test better with mods and his tuning

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi-bin/ppistore.pl

· Registered
2,303 Posts
"Mike Troyer at Troyer Preformance" Thats who I was thinking of doing my tunes. He's huge on the v6 forums, there are at least 30 guys on there that have tunes from him and they all have nothing but good things to say about him.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have been just told that with these mods i will need to upgrade my fuel pump and injectors?
i thought both were good to about 500rwhp??

i have also seen a lot about blown motors lately, there is no way i'll go with an upper w/ my 6# lower, but is the mods i listed going to be too much?

· Registered
186 Posts
With the 6# and a good tune you should be okay, I wouldn't do the 6 and an upper. The Eaton can only take so much over spinning, it will be okay for a while but....Plus with bumping up the HP to high you will have to do some bottom end work. With the mods you have planned I wouldn't think you would have to do injectors or fuel pump. There are a few L tuners in NY,PA and NJ that arn't to far to go, have also heard good of Troyer P

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ya, i decided not to go w/ an upper. just thought i'd throw the idea out there and see what people say.
i wont be doing any engine work yet (connecting rods or anything yet).
i have been talking to pat at steeda (paul isnt there right now). i think i'll be going with them.
i am still open to suggestions though. a lot of stangs have gone to him and a few lightning's too....i just dont want to be wrong about it as this is like searching for a doctor to do brain surgery on you (you want to right one so you dont end up a veggie or dead!)

· Registered
2,303 Posts
I've heard about 2 places here in London, one is Chandler technologies, they have a dyno but thats about all I know about them so far and there is supposed to be a second tuner shop that just opened up here as well. I'll get the name a post it tomorrow.

· Registered
186 Posts
there is supposed to be a second tuner shop that just opened up here as well. I'll get the name a post it tomorrow.
That would be great if you could find out! I've been to Chandlers, just ran on the dyno , didn't get any tune work there, they do SCT.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so i just got a quote back from steeda and i have been doing a lot of research (i am anal about this so dont start!) and paul meister at steeda has quite the reputation w/ the mustang guys and he has been doing a few lightnings too!
i have just e-mailed him asking his opinions/thoughts on my mods and what he thinks about everything.

with the quote it looks like there is going to be a lot of o/t for me during our outage at work in end of feb/march and april.

I also bought a spark plug gapper w/ a shitty plug to test it out. i took the first one back to crappy tire and bought another, works great!

as for chandler, i dont know if they have done much tuning, and i did contact them a while back and they deal with tim roi (i think that's his name-big into stangs) and i was told not to go to him....again, tuner bashing and i know nothing about him so i can't say other than what i've heard.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.