Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I have done a search and cannot find anything yet, but does anybody know if it is possible to install air conditioning in a 2007 F150 XL, my truck came with none so am wondering if this is doable.

Thanks Ernie.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
I'm no expert, but I'm going to offer the opinion that with all the accessories, compressor, lines and such, it's more hassle (and cost) than it's worth.

One of those cases of "you could, but why would you want to." ?

Better off to deal out the '07 and go for a model that's already equipped if it bothers you that much.

Odd that the '07 isn't already equipped with A/C as a standard option, I had a '98 XL and it was equipped with air.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Linky no worky for me.

Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: ""
The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

For assistance, contact your network support team.
Parts price is one thing, installation and labour is another.

What's the kit price out to ? Cost to install it factors in, no doubt, obviously the lack of factory AC is another Ford design flaw.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 99 XLT 4x4 got totaled a couple off weeks ago and I picked up this 2007 bare bones XL with just over 15 K on it. basically brand new. The price was to good to pass up.
So I was just wondering about upgrading it. I do not need AC being in Ontario but its one of those nice to haves.
I am in the process of putting a new sound system.

Thanks Ernie.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Link works fine today.
Item# BNFD057 $1490.00 , plus, plus.

Air & Sound
5706 West Ridge Dr.
Mo. 64804

Ph: 417-624-7354

The kit looks pretty much complete.

Pretty big investment to be undertaking at this point, unless you intend to keep the truck long term. (but as you said, very low K's for an /07)

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
He said he just bought it, so probably thinking long term.

Complete Air Conditioning system using mostly Ford and Motorcraft parts
Drop In AC Coil,
Factory Controls,
Many Factory Ford and Motorcraft parts,
HD Condenser
Custom Hoses
Direct mount Comressor
Plug-in switches and wiring

2004-2005 Models , Must know production date.
11/28/2004 and Before or 11/29/2004 and after.

NOT for 2004 Heritage Trucks

$1490
Mike
Link work for me. :) lol

Also they have cruise control $120

·
Registered
874 Posts
Would be a worth while upgrade in my opinion. Especially if you plan on keeping it for a long time, even when you no longer want it, it will aid for the resale in value to a certain extent.
The dash in the '04/'08 F150 is a simple dash to work with, and the engine bay is a little tight, but easy enough to work with for ac. Probably take a good weekend with some "POPS" i would think.:icon_cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link, its just what I was looking for.

I am planning on keeping this truck as long as I can, my last one was 13 years until someone decided to run a red light into me. So any upgrades like AC would be worth it to me. and the labour is cheap, me.

Thanks again.

Ernie

·
Registered
874 Posts
Good luck with the install once you start!! Should do a write up on it, would be awesome.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Yup again I'm with Jay on this a write up and pictures would be great just incase someone else is looking to do this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'll advise against all this. Have you guys yanked the dash on these things? The factory evaporators are a pain to get to .... then you get to deal with routing lines, the orfice tube, the accumnulator, the compressor and belt, condenser ..... plus you then get to trick the pcm into knowing its new parameters.

the pcm has various strategies for how and when it allows a/c operation. when the compressor kicks on it ups the idle speed to compensate for the increased load, and there is typically no a/c operation at full throttle. finally, quite a few fords delay turning on the compressor at initial startup. a lot of times the oil accumulates at the low point in the system (usually the compressor) and gives a 'hard engagement' right off the bat. rangers are famous for this ....

*shrugs*

seems a great deal easier and cheaper to open the window.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Make sure you take lots of pics and keep everyone up to date with how the project is going.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for the input.

Yes opening the window would be lot easier.

But the challenge and fun of putting in AC would be neat. I want to modify the truck to the way I like it.

Being a Jaguar mechanic has taught me how certain vehicles can be a real PITA you have not lived until doing the parking brakes on an early inboard model, a real female dog.

Mind you, new electronics delude me, I am being dragged kicking and screaming into the new century. I am old skool.

How does one reprogram the ecm for AC operation?

Or is and or can the new AC be independent of the engine controls.

Thank you

P.S. I am ordering the cruise control from the link company today. I really miss the cruise.

Thanks again Ernie

·
Registered
874 Posts
I wonder if you went to the dealer, they can tell the pcm that the a/c is now there.
As for the cruise control switches, very simple. I did it to my the '06 XL i use to have. Install was simple, and my body at the dealership just plugged into the pcm, and told it was there. Done.

·
Registered
71 Posts
you wrenched for jag and you don't like electronics? heh ..... i thought that was 90% of their problems ; )

anyway .... i'm not 100% positive, but i'm pretty sure that there is not an 'a/c enable' option under our programmable parameters for the pcm or any other module on the hs-can. usually the only stuff to really play with using that function is axle ratios, wheel and tire size, reset belt minders and engine hour meters, lighting options .... that sort of stuff

**for what it's worth i have an '09 in my bay right now. no such option exists

no reason why you can't have it run independently of pcm control. it will still 'work'. it would just suck to get the whole thing installed and then find that you have a low/unstable idle when warm when the compressor kicks on, or something to that effect.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I work on older Jaguars pre computer controls and fuel injection.

I think I will check with an AC shop and find out if this is a pipe dream or not.

Thanks for you r input

Ernie

1 - 20 of 24 Posts