Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As a new member of Ford Tough, I would like to give you a full introduction and brief summary of my qualifications. In short, I have a passion for detailing like others do for fine wine, woodworking, or music. This is what I live and breathe. It stands to reason, then, I might know what I am talking about. :D

My business, Apollo Detailing, has been around for nearly two full seasons now. For the most part, we concentrate on paint correction. Paint correction, briefly, is the process by which defects, swirls, and scratches are removed from the paint.

This is an example of a panel that has received paint correction. Note the vast difference between the corrected and the uncorrected sides.

Here are a few examples of my work:

Picus & Holden_C04 - Polishing Perfection - Autopia.org

Apollo Detailing: 2007 Porsche Cayman S (35+ Photos) - Autopia.org

2006 Volkswagen GTI (56k = :hairpull) - Autopia.org

Apollo Detailing: Full Correction Imola Red '05 BMW 330ci ZHP - Autopia.org

Apollo Detailing: 14hr Correction! Black 2001 BMW 540i - Autopia.org

I hope to be a helpful contributor to this forum. Now, feel free to ask any question you like. I have yet to be stumped.

·
Premium Member
4,280 Posts
welcome Tyler, you found a great site. no paint probs yet and you'de be a little far to travel to anyways. lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome Tyler, you found a great site. no paint probs yet and you'de be a little far to travel to anyways. lol.
Thank you, Super. I am glad to be here. :icon_smile:

It would be a little on the expensive side going to the Yukon, but I can help you to maintain it and correct minor defects. When you have a question, don't hesitate to ask. That's what I am here for, to help. :icon_smile:

·
Registered
766 Posts
black bmw

Hi Tyler.A question on the black bmw that you showed.Were those scratchs as bad as they looked.I have a couple that have showed up on my new 08 black fx4.They are bad enough that they are white.Can I get these out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Tyler.A question on the black bmw that you showed.Were those scratchs as bad as they looked.I have a couple that have showed up on my new 08 black fx4.They are bad enough that they are white.Can I get these out.
If they are so deep that they are white, they may have penetrated through the clear and base coats of paint and to the primer. If so, it will need to be repainted.

Here is a cross-section of modern, clear coat and base coat paintwork:

Below the base coat will be the primer coat and below that, bare metal. If it has penetrated deeply through the clear coat, it is not removable.

Do the scratches catch your fingernail?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Welcome to fordtough.ca Tyler....Nice work. Question ; Once you have done a full
paint correction what do you suggest to mantain the finish and how long should it last.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to fordtough.ca Tyler....Nice work. Question ; Once you have done a full
paint correction what do you suggest to mantain the finish and how long will it last.
I recommend washing at least once every two weeks using a paint-safe technique, along with an application of a wax or sealant once each season to protect the paint from various elements.

When a full correction is performed, the results are permanent. The gloss will not wash off or diminish because the paint itself has changed. The only possible thing that could reduce its quality is improper washing techniques, infrequent washing, and environmental factors.

This is an extremely thorough video of proper washing technique, as performed by Mike Phillips of Meguiar's.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7598756069207401372

1 - 9 of 9 Posts