Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

·
Administrator
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys,

I understand your frustration with this sudden, and seemingly aggressive change.
We are being aggressive about this for member's protection. Hackers who have access to these accounts, may be able to access other platforms where the same email and/or passwords are used. Other platforms have been compromised as well, including Twitter, Linkedin etc. We are just trying to get ahead of this, and nip it in the bud as soon as possible.

Right now, I am going to ask you guys to try and be open to this sudden change.
We are trying to protect the members of our sites.
If there are any other questions/concerns/feedback, please feel free to post them here.

Thank you so much, in anticipation for your understanding,

Richard.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hey Slick Rick, what is so important about this site? This is a truck forum, if someone hacks my UN and PW they can't get anything else. They can't do anything else with that information. What are they going to do post a thread on how Autoguide is the biggest waste of time and get me banned? ONOES.

·
Super Moderator
1,664 Posts
I believe you overestimate your anticipation of our understanding, Richard. With all of the button pushing being exerted on the already overburdened Canadian tax payer, one has to wonder which button will activate the thermonuclear destruct sequence. Seeing as how the Illudium Pew 36 Explosive Space Modulator is now readily available on the open market. Not sayin', just sayin'.

·
Administrator
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey there,

The security of members accounts is very important to us and although a members personal information or private information such as credit card info is not stored on the site, many people use the same password for multiple sites. This could create a potential hole for a hacker to get your info which is what we would like to avoid. The forced password change for now is to ensure there are no holes on the forum and the one that should happen a year from now can be revisited then and we can look into if it is still needed on the site.

~Shane

·
Registered
741 Posts
Why is there someone different each time? I thought Dwayne was taking care of us, who the fuck are these schmucks?

On a side note, everytime I say or think of the name Dwayne I think of someone like this.
http://slapwank.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/*******-memes-turkey.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Why is there someone different each time? I thought Dwayne was taking care of us, who the fuck are these schmucks?

On a side note, everytime I say or think of the name Dwayne I think of someone like this.
http://slapwank.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/*******-memes-turkey.jpg
HEY!...settle down!...I don't look like that!
My sideburns aren't that long.

But I know a guy named Ryan with a Skullet and a Speedo...does that count?

·
Super Moderator
1,664 Posts
hey there,

The security of members accounts is very important to us and although a members personal information or private information such as credit card info is not stores on the site, many people use the same password for multiple sites. This could create a potential hole for a hacker to get your info which is what we would like to avoid. The forced password change for now is to unsure there are no holes on the forum and the one that should happen a year from now can be revisited then and we can look into if it is still needed on the site.

~Shane
Holy Smokes! I read this and blew 3 gaskets, spun a bearing and stripped 2 gears! I can accept that some members are not grammatically endowed. However, administrators should be a pillar of Canadian English correctness. I am unsure about this site's future. I would like to do something to ensure it remains, but, I cannot afford to insure this with my current provider. There is far to much reliance on a spell checking program and not enough Oxford Dictionary cracking. Differences in the wording, as provided by my example, can mean the difference between litigation and serenity. By the way, no dictionaries were harmed in this composition.

Reactions: SVT4MT

·
Administrator
4,742 Posts
You saw the new profile right? The one where you check "yes" or "no" to "Insurance" ? Guess thats why. To insure you got it.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I can understand a need for security in todays world but this seems a little like a little overkill.

I wouldn't be as skeptical if the requirement for your password wasn't so ridiculous. 10 characters, an upper, a lower and a symbol. Something like that just pops in to your brain and is easy to remember along with my other 15 passwords I already have.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Is it really fucking necessary to put a fucking symbol in there as well? I understand a capital and number but a fucking symbol, FUCK YOU AUTOGUIDE!

·
Super Moderator
1,600 Posts
Absolute bullshit! I am 68 years old and even my bank doesn't require such nonsense.
If this is the direction the site is heading I don't think I will be around for long. Even our hallowed government trusted my passwords.

·
Administrator
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for Shane's spelling. I teased him about it then fixed it up. We're using a lot of copy paste messages to answer similar responses, so thanks for catching that. Last thing we want is to add bad grammar to the mix.

If you are concerned about not being able to remember your password once it has the new requirements, a good piece of advice is to use a phrase instead of a word with the extra stuff tagged on.

Example: [email protected]

Stays in your head better that way.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 31 Posts