Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if anyone knows of another option instead of just getting a factory alternator for these trucks. I have electric fans, piaa fogs, and a mild stereo, a Optima red top and it seems like when everything is on at a set of lights the voltage drops below where it should be. Curious if i can get a bigger alternator from the aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Excessive Amperage makes custom alternators for any vheicle. I got mine from there and it's awsome 250amp. He makes 200amp, 250amp, 300amp models. He's real good to deal with answers all questions fast ,shiping was ok. I think I paid about 500$, her is the link:
http://www.excessiveamperage.com/

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
I dealt with a local alternator shop he got a new alternator from Ford and changed the stator and amateur in it and now it puts out a 210 amp's that along with the "BIG 3" upgrade and a Yellow top Optima battery work's out very well

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya i think im just going to take my alt into a local shop and have them rebuild it with more juice. I allready have an optima red top, and im probably going to see about upgrading the wires. Do you really need to fuse the alternator wire thought?

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Personally I think it's a good idea, It's cheap insurance

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Ok stupid question...why do you need to fuse the Alt wire??

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
The same reason you should fuse all power wires, in case of a dead short to ground, also look at it this way wouldn't you rather blow a fuse then have a fire?

and no stupid questions here, if you are unsure or don't know, just ask thats why were all here to help each other out

·
Registered
6 Posts
fuse for alt wire

one of the reasons for the fuse is in case the rrectifier in the alt shorts out, this would allow the battery to feed max amps through tha alt wire to the body of the alt. now that is a mess nobody wants under there hood.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to revive such an old thread. But i was probably gonna be doing the big 3 wire upgrade on my truck in the next day or 2, and was wondering what size fuse i should use for the power wire? Im new to fusing the alternator, with my mustang i put in a 100amp 1 wire alternator and just ran a nice new 4guage wire straight to the batt with no fuse and no problems.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Well first off make sure all wires are bigger than the stock wires and they say the fuse should be for what the wire is rated at in amps not the alternator. Also I would leave all stock wirer's in place, current will take the path with least resistivity either way.

I have a 250amp fuse with 0/1 gage wire for my setup I plan on getting a 300amp fuse but the 250 is doing good

Thread resurrection is fun :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the wire i was going to see if we have 0/1 guage at work. And for the alternator, i currently just have the stock one, but have emailed the website in this thread about options for a bigger one such as a 200 or 250 amp alt. So i was thinking probably a 300amp fuse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts