Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

cleaning tires and rims safely?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  milioncaar 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys
just wanted to ask about some products..
my 2010 ranger 4x4 with the p255/70r16 tires are getting very dirty and I'd like to try to get a product that cleans the rims and tires with out cracking the tires or damaging the rims..
looked at Mequiars products
- Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner or Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Cleaner
- Endurance Tire Gel Kit

what do any of you think and should I try something else...

thanks Glenn.

#2 ·
I use a simple green product from canadian tire and a simoniz tire scrubbing brush. Works very well. I have used the meguiars products as well. They work well, but the simple green is cheaper. Also don't expect to spray it on hose it off. I have found with all tire and rim cleaners that you have to scrub with some sort of brush.

#3 ·
I use a scrub brush (also Simoniz, I think?) and Fantastik, or the generic no-name equivalent. Good for tires and rims. Just rinse it off promptly after you're done scrubbing. Does a great job getting that brownish haze off sidewalls.

#4 ·
like they said

just watch you dont grab the wrong rim cleaning bottle theres the stuff for uncoated/unfinished rims thats basicaly acid and will ruin coated rims most stuff on the shelf is all wheel safe its getting hard to find the other stuff

#5 ·
ok thanks guys
the acid products is what I want to stay away from'
I'm going out to crappytire today and will see what they have...
My wife and I have been doing alot of driving looking at houses and some of the driving has been on dirt roads, next couple of days I'm taking time off house hunting and going to baby the truck alittle .....it got really dirty last few days so thought I'd clean it up alittle..
The sidewalls of the tires are bad...so hopefully some elbow grease will clean them up.'
What do you reccommend for a good wax to help with the swirlies...
thanks
Glenn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.