Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently the OPP here in the Capital region have been pulling drivers over and issuing tickets to drivers who do not either slow down or move over one lane, when passing an emergency vehicle on the side of the road.
The law states, in part, that you must slow down and move over when passing an emergency vehicle on the side of the road and when on a multi lane highway, you must move over one entire lane.
The ticket, by the way, comes attached with a few demerit points.

Yesterday some 20 people were issued either warnings or tickets...

· Registered
1,124 Posts
In Alberta you have to move over or slow down to 60km/h. They had a crack down last weekend on it and gave out tickets as high as $500 for not slowing down to 60km/h.

· Registered
898 Posts
Personally I have been doing something similar anyway.
I ALWAYS do my best to get over to the next lane if there is ANY car on the side of the road way.
If I only have one lane in that direction, I straddle the centre line with my tires to give the most room when passing that automobile.
If someone was to open their door when I pass I don't want to be hit

If there is traffic from the other way, I do time my centre lane straddle.
So yes I have slowed down if I am unable to move over.
I would never forgive myself if I was to hit ANYONE on the side of the road, I'd feel even worse if it was someone paid to serve and protect.

· Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally I have been doing something similar anyway.
I ALWAYS do my best to get over to the next lane if there is ANY car on the side of the road way.
If I only have one lane in that direction, I straddle the centre line with my tires to give the most room when passing that automobile.
If someone was to open their door when I pass I don't want to be hit

If there is traffic from the other way, I do time my centre lane straddle.
So yes I have slowed down if I am unable to move over.
I would never forgive myself if I was to hit ANYONE on the side of the road, I'd feel even worse if it was someone paid to serve and protect.
Exactly, I move over or slow down, I've lived in Western Canada where moving over is the norm, here in Ontario, people seem to always be in a hurry which I think was one of the determining factors to pass this law.

· Registered
4,153 Posts
either slow down or move over one lane, when passing an emergency vehicle on the side of the road.
Yes they did, now they're enforcing it. I wonder what happens during rush hour when there's no room to move over...? there again, in rush hour, the speed is somewhere around 5kmh...
Ya kinda answered this question with your first post.......

This law has been enforced for years in many states, it is fairly recent in Ontario. FYI I got pulled over 2 years ago for illegal lane change on the 401 by the OPP that I was moving over for........:icon_confused:

· Registered
3,056 Posts
its been in effect longer then recently.... there just inforcing it now back in like 97 when i got my licence it was on the writen test at the ministry and taught in young drivers of canada

if theres a brokedown vehical i try and get over as far as i can same for police never know who or what might dart out

· Registered
161 Posts
I always do it anyway. The last thing I would want is to run someone over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.