Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening folks. Having a strange problem with my instrument cluster and radio and power mirrors.
I start my truck and everything is working perfectly. Drive away and within a few seconds the entire instrument cluster (speedo, tach,fuel gauge,oil pressure,tranny temp,coolant temp) all go off. As well as the radio and contol of the power mirrors.
My blinkers and headlights still are running. Sometimes I only go a few seconds and everything comes back to life and sometimes it takes a few minutes??? Happpens at least once every day.
Has anybody seen or heard of this before?
Any insights are appreciated.
Thanks
rob

2005 F250 6.0 diesel with about 260000 K

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground somewhere but where to start. Viper 238 Travis may have some answers. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No luck yet

So i have looked at a lot of different stuf over the last few days.
Cleaned and verified all the connections on both batteries. OK
Did a load test on both batteries. OK
Static voltage on both batteries is 12.8 V
When the truck is running both batteries are charging at about 14.8 V at idle.
Brought a megher home from work and verified the ground circuit for the truck is OK
Don't know where to look next???
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks
rob

·
Super Moderator
1,686 Posts
You verified all of the ground circuits? With a megher?!!! Use an ohm meter. It's safer for your electronics. Check the engine to cab ground strap? Pulled apart the under dash and checked those grounds? Check the fuses/circuit breakers for oxidation or looseness, under the dash and the hood.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, i used a megher, but it is one that is used specifically for 24 V dc circuits, so i was not worried about it damaging any electronics.
i have ohmed everything that i can see without tearing the entire dash out of the truck.
i have pulled every fuse and relay and checked them for continuity and cleaned all their contact points.
Everything seems OK, but I'm still getting intermittant outages of the entire dash cluster, radio and power mirrors.
So i'm just looking for ideas of where to look next?????
Thanks
rob

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
check your starter.....

mine didnt do what yours did and keep running but had the exact same symptems. when I went to start it up after getting fuel it did the same thing only wouldnt start, ended up the starter had shorted out and welded itself solid. Had to have the truck towed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So just some more info for people to think about.
Still working on getting this problem solved.
When all the elctronics power off, I am still able to push the CD eject button on the radio and the CD will eject and go back in on it's own as usual even though the entire dash cluster and the radio is off????......any more ideas fellas.
i'm really reluctantto take it to the dealer and pay them $100/hour to just start changing electronic parts one at a time????......anybody????
thanks
rob

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
I may be way out in left field here Rob but what about a poor contact on a pin in a plug on a wiring harness?

·
Registered
234 Posts
So just some more info for people to think about.
Still working on getting this problem solved.
When all the elctronics power off, I am still able to push the CD eject button on the radio and the CD will eject and go back in on it's own as usual even though the entire dash cluster and the radio is off????......any more ideas fellas.
i'm really reluctantto take it to the dealer and pay them $100/hour to just start changing electronic parts one at a time????......anybody????
thanks
rob
That is normal operation of the radio/CD. I dont think it is related. A quick Google search seems to point to circuits around the battery saver relay circuitry. It's definitely an intermittent of some sort, either power or ground. I know that doesn't help much but you need to some how monitor those circuits starting from the source and then work towards the fault. Hard to explain, but that would be my approach. Lastly, do you have wiring diagrams for your truck?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info LOOSEWHEEL, I do not have a schematic for the truck. I have been looking on google for last couple of hours and founs lots of interesting information.
One problem that seems to happen is the wiring for the O/D switch rubbs through on the top of the steering column??? Causing the dash lights to go out, but from what I have read about this problem it also blows fuse #45.
I have not had a fuse blow yet, so most likely this is not it???
I aslo found a company called circuitboardmedics that say they can rebuild the instrument cluster for $149???
Can you provide me the link to the battery saver relay circuit.........I can't see to findit?
thanks
rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Loosewheel!
I'll have a look.
i did a bunch more searching last night and found some info about the battery saver relay circuit. From what i learned this circuit has "secret' ford parts in it and it cannot be repaired. It has to be replaced with the OEM part, and that sucks.
Also found information about the FICM on how to verify proper voltages...........amazing stuff on the internet..........if you beleive it all.
Thanks again
rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I've had enough with my truck.
Ford Canada has pissed me off.
The truck was traded today for a Toyota product.
Too bad, I've had 5 brand new Ford trucks since 1986............all have been good until this last one.
Too bad when you pay $54K in cash for a brand new truck and the dealer has absolutely no interest in helping you out.............bye bye
rob

·
Administrator
4,742 Posts
Sorry to hear that Rob, maybe you got hit by lightning, don't forget to order up some eggrolls to go with your rice. :icon_eek:

(Kidding....too soon?)

As far as the dealer helping you out, I'm not sure what you mean...you didn't want to pay them $100/hr to go changing things out right?

Surely you can't expect Ford Canada to help out with any sort of warranty work on a seven year old truck with 260k on it ?

Either way, if you're not happy with Ford, best thing to do is go elsewhere.

Hell, I was a lifelong GM buyer until I got pissed off and had enough, so I can see where you''re coming from. Best of luck with your Toy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts