Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Engine Mod help

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  shelbyx1 
#1 ·
Hi. Brand new member here. Came from Ford Truck World. What I would like to know is this. How much can I do to my 4.6L engine before I need to spend some big bucks on a rebuild?

I have a 2000 F-150 with a 4.6L and a 3:33 rear dif

I have installed: A larger throttle body, AEM Cold intake, Headers, Cat Back Exhaust, Dual electric fan, superchips flash programer.

I would like to get a supercharger eventually, but I want to make sure I have done everything else before I put one on. I was quoted 6500.00 for an inter-cooled charger installed. That is a lot if money. I am thinking about performance cams and and anything else they may as well do while there at it, rollers, lifters ect.

This is a daily driver truck, the gains I really want to see are in the passing power so mid level RPM's. I want to do as much as I can get away with until I need to rebuild the engine in 7 years. No one seems to be able to help me. Even if someone can direct me to a really good speed shop in Edmonton I would be thankful...

#2 ·
There really isnt a whole lot you can do aside from a blower right off the bat. The engine is just too small to move the truck along. You can do the throttle body, exhaust, tuning and some fancy gizmos but in the end it still wont pull a sick whore off a toilet. The engine isnt designed for a forced induction application so mild boost is the best you can do if you want reliablilty and sane fuel economy. Options are spend the $6500 and be happy with the power, or buy a lightning engine from a wrecker along with the intercooler goodies. Buy a stock 5.4 for more torque and plop it in. Or, buy a 32V navigator 5.4, 300HP and lots of torque - probably your best power for dollar choice right there. Finally, buy another truck like a harley like mine, $100 later for a blower pulley and I went from 340HP to 380HP (plus a dyno tune which was free for me). If I spend another $600 Ill have 450HP, how can you beat that?

#3 ·
That's great but my truck is paid for and runs great. When I need to buy another one I probably will do what you suggest. But for now I'm just playing with the one I got. Sounds like cams and sume uper re-enforcment is all I have left to do.

#7 ·
$6300:

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/performance_parts/index.html?item=1022

Procharger 9lb kit: $4300 after tax and duties
12lb pulley: $150
Lightning 90mm MAF, 42lb injectors: $400
Installation of supercharger and injectors: $500-$800
Xcal3 with dyno tune: $650

Total: $6300

This kit should net you about 350rwhp with the headers and exhaust that you have which will put you on par or slightly above what lightnings are putting out. The key to engine longevity here is a safe dyno tune. 12lb is a lot for a stock motor but if the tune is spot on you will be okay. Otherwise stick with the 9lb pulley. You will net about 320rwhp with the 4.6 and 9lb pulley.

#12 · (Edited)
not to upset you. Cut the chase. go for a lightning. I sold my 04 lightning 1.5 years ago when I ordered a 07 reg cab with the 4.6.

I hated it. No power no handling. Looked at getting a whipple and a tune. Would have put down a safe 425 rear hp. But would still drive like a wet sponge.

Went back to a lightning. With increased power comes the need for increased braking ablity, handling etc..

Take a lightning for a test drive and be prepaired for a change of heart.

#14 ·
For $1750.00 + S&H you can get a set of stage 2 heads. Cams are an additional $549.00 Check out Fox Lake http://www.foxlakeracing.com/ You should see about 80Hp with this set up. A word of caution for add on blowers. Fuel. You need extra fuel. Get a 255l/hr pump and bigger injectors. Stay away from Boost a pumps and FMUs. Get your PCM tuned for the bigger injectors and pump. Check the classifieds of all the Ford truck sites looking for a used blower.
Centies usually have all the parts and bolt right up. The lightning set ups are usually missing the intercooler parts and lower pulleys. If you can do the work yourself you will save a ton of cash. Find a Ford shop manual, not Hains or Chilton. My personal recommendation; Get the heads/cams and find a 5.4 to put them on. Then in a year or so when your friends have gotten used to the stupid grin on your face get it blown.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

#16 ·
if you do heads and cams trick flow makes a great set..remember that your stock intake manifold won't be able to breath well enough so you are going to need something different there...after 5500rpm they fall flat on the dyno. the navi engine or lightning engine would be nice but its more complicated than just swapping them..you would need all the wiring harnesses and computers, trannies i believe are different as well..i have a good friend here that is running a built 4.6 with a 130 shot of juice and he is running 13 flats and high 12's...yes thats a lot quicker than a stock lightning or navigator...

#17 ·
if your looking for the power mixed with drivability on a daily basis go with better gearing(3:73 would be the best unless running bigger tires) install headers and get a dyno tune,and for the occasional surprise the crap out of some ricer get a dry nitros set up(don't go any more than 100 shot on stock internals)and save up your cash to build an engine in the future.m2c:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.