Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 F150 5.4 xlt super crew. It started making a noise again as soon as the temps dropped below 0.
It makes a high pitched wistling sound at around 2000 rpm, if I give it a bit of gas or let up it goes away but keeps coming back.
I had a mechanic look at it last winter but he was at a loss as to what was causing it. All the guages show that temps and oil pressure are where they should be.
It is definitely coming from under the hood, I am hoping some else has experienced the same thing and can point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I had a noise from under the hood on my 04 5.4 in the colder days, never had it looked at, as it went away when the truck warmed up. to me just sounded like it was coming from the air box but who knows it didn't bother me so I left it alone.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
intake resonance common concern,check intake tube to make sure fully seated into filter box and check inlet in fender.

·
Registered
198 Posts
One of the guys at work said he had a similar noise that turned out to be the belt tensioner. It's worth a look.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks folks. I will have a look at the tensioner and make sure the intake is fully seated into the fender and filter box.

Mav....

·
Registered
479 Posts
i have the same thing.. but i have a C.A.I and it still makes the noise.....if ur ford stops makin noise that ur usto hearing theirs a problem. i cant see it being the tensioner. kuz as long as this noise has been going on it would have fallen off buy now. I think its the harmonics of the cold air going past the throttle blade into a hot intake, because it is temp sensitive.

i think.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i got the same high pitched noise when it starts getting cold out.sounds like it coming from the tach or speedo to me.it will go away around ninety kms and if i let off the petal it comes back.you can play with the petal and make the sound go up or down.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Ya, still don't have a fix for my truck.
Not looking forward to the whistle and whine this coming winter.

Sad that this issue is something consistent over assorted build years of Ford's best selling vehicle, but has NEVER been addressed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a simular noise when it got cold or when ever it rained or snowed. i changed my belt. its all good now.

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
I would look at the serpentine belt, and or tensioner, or the harmonic balancer

·
Registered
15 Posts
@lumberjack - I have the same noise, however, for most of my experience most all Fords had power steering pumps that liked to whine when the fluid was cold. My '96 does it, and my 07 does it.

This might be a long shot but maybe it's the a/c clutch bearings. I could see that when it's cold and at a certain RPM they might whine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry to bring back an old thread, it's the first one I found about a unknown noise.

I just bought an 05 f-150 4x4 4.6L (I know, it's small but I was scared of the 5.4 plugs problem).

There was an awful noise when I first saw it and figured out it would be a pulley.

Yesterday, I've changed the pulley and the noise was gone.

Now, what is weird is there is no noise and as soon as I put it on reverse or drive, there is another noise. Put it on neutral or park and it's gone?!? If I rev and/or drive it, it's get worst?!?

Any idea? Transmission oil seems fine (upper level, red and sandy. no burn smell).

Transfert case? how would you check it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
change your belt. i had the same problem. when it got cold or damp
I've changed it at the same time as the pulley. Wasn't really due but wasn't new either. I wanted to make sure the noise was gone.

The first time I heard that noise, I suspect another pulley. When I look at them, the smooth pulley was grinding (the one I changed) but the groove pulley underneath had a very minimal play (wanted to buy it but not in stock). So by putting it on drive or reverse, the best description I could say is it sound like a ''power steering low on oil'' noise.
But the level of oil is perfect...

Do I have to change the power steering pump? Hope not...

At the same time, why would the noise stop instantly when I put it on neutral or park? But come back as soon as I engage it and keep growing as I accelerate? Steering pump would keep asking for help engaged or not...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well It turn out to be a transmission pump problem.

$200-$300 for the part.

$1200-$1500 in labor.

We'll have to drop the tranny (its locate just behind the converter, nice spot?!?), change the pump, and put it back together.

I wonder how long it could last like that? two weeks, 6 months.

The transmission is working great. No miss, no slip. Just a noise...

·
Registered
10 Posts
mine does it only when my intake is on the truck. power steering pump got changed out idlers were changed new belt.. all that only after its below zero mine will make the noise if it gradually picks up or on cruise.. im sure its a whistle of the intake.. sounds like a 6.0L and i watched on my chip only and only did it at certain cfm and throttle position. hold it there and it will wistle .any more or less and nothing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts