Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am asking this for a buddy who has just bought a 2006 4x4 diesel. When he turns the button to go 4 wheel drive it does not engage. He can still manually lock the hubs but I am wondering if it is an electrical problem or something else? Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
sounds like a problem in the vacc lock system for the front hubs,the hose connectors for the wheel ends like to break at the tee on the frame rails.

·
Registered
507 Posts
^ x2 its a vacuum problem

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. I am not to competent mechanically, where would I look to see if the hose has come loose or broken? Is it something I should be able to fix myself? Thanks again.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I am asking this for a buddy who has just bought a 2006 4x4 diesel. When he turns the button to go 4 wheel drive it does not engage. He can still manually lock the hubs but I am wondering if it is an electrical problem or something else? Thanks in advance for your input!
When you say" He can still manually lock the hubs", are you just confirming that the lock buttons on the wheels are free & turning or are you confirming that turning them locks the axle to the wheel? If they are locking fine (they are working if the steering gets a little heavier) but when you turn the ESOF switch on the dash; nothing more happens (the steering should get really heavy now on asphalt!), then the problem is not the front axle/hubs-it's the transfer case not engaging which is most likely an electirical issue.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My first guess is the seals on the hubs are leaking. My second guess would be the vacuum pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts