Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Ford Ranger
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently acquired a 2004 Ranger 2WD base model, 3L-V6, automatic transmission. The previous owner put an average of 2647 km per year on it (45,000 km total) in 17 years. I don't know the service history so I want to change all the fluids. I'm hoping other willing forum members can help me find the information a D.I.Y person needs to complete the following tasks including replacement part numbers.

a) Engine oil/filter - This one is easy, 5w20 oil as per the oil filler cap and replacement filter.
b) Transmission - Oil type and volume? Filter part number?
c) Brake fluid flush - DOT-3 I presume?
d) Coolant? Will any colour long life antifreeze be sufficient as long as I flush the cooling system with distilled water first?
e) Power steering fluid. Is there a Ford specific type/brand required?
f) Rear differential. 80/90 wt. gear oil?

Thanks for the assistance!

·
Super Moderator
1,699 Posts
A. Answered
B. Check the dipstick and/or manual
C. Check the cap. Most are DOT 3, DOT 4 handles higher heat. Do not mix!
D. Should be universal, however, should check specs. Mine requires SCA additive.
E. Check. I use Type F ATF.
F. 75/140 I think. Could be 70/140. Synthetic will save fuel in winter.

Reactions: gdrew

·
Registered
2004 Ford Ranger
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A. Answered
B. Check the dipstick and/or manual
C. Check the cap. Most are DOT 3, DOT 4 handles higher heat. Do not mix!
D. Should be universal, however, should check specs. Mine requires SCA additive.
E. Check. I use Type F ATF.
F. 75/140 I think. Could be 70/140. Synthetic will save fuel in winter.
Thank you Destructicon! The previous owner (older fellow (93) that lives across the road) is still looking for the manual. He thinks his son who also has the same generation Ranger may have taken it.

·
Super Moderator
1,699 Posts
If I remember correctly, you can download them from Ford.ca.

Reactions: gdrew

·
Registered
2004 Ford Ranger
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of transmission fluid do you fill in ?
I don't quite understand what you are asking but if you are referring transmission fluid flush, drain and top up or just toping up, my 2004 Ford Ranger automatic transmission specifies Mercon-5 fluid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you frequently drive in high-stress conditions, you should check the transmission fluid level and condition much more regularly. You can do this either on your own or at car repair shops. Typically, transmission fluid is red, but it can come in other colors as well. As it deteriorates, the color of the fluid darkens. Another sign of transmission fluid deterioration can be a burning smell, indicating mechanical problems with the transmission. In addition, the presence of dirt or other debris in the fluid is an indication that the fluid needs to be replaced. But I would suggest you read What Type of Transmission Fluid for Cars. Capacity..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts