Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Ford Ranger
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my fuel gauge sending unit seems to be acting up, stuck on about 1/8th of a tank when I know the tank is full.

I'm wondering if there is a fix? Or do I have to replace the sending unit and is that "part" is available or replace the whole fuel pump?

2004 Ford Ranger 3.0L V-6 extra cab with 4 doors.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,686 Posts
Try a mighty wump on the bottom of the tank when it's about 3/4 full with your hand. Otherwise, lower the tank to check connections for corrosion. Does the gauge do a full sweep on start? It could be the gauge stuck or faulty wiring.

·
Registered
2004 Ford Ranger
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try a mighty wump on the bottom of the tank when it's about 3/4 full with your hand. Otherwise, lower the tank to check connections for corrosion. Does the gauge do a full sweep on start? It could be the gauge stuck or faulty wiring.
I took the box off and went at the fuel pump from the top. When I had the pump out I cycled the sending unit top to bottom several times while spraying electrical contact cleaner into the rheostat, then installed it back into the tank with the same result. The wiring plug looked fresh and clean but I did apply a little dielectric grease to it for good measure. I'll follow the wiring harness as best as I can to see if I can find an issue with it. I may end up needing to purchase a new sending unit (if sold separately) to rule it in or out...

Thank you for your assistance!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts