Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
planning on building a shop/garage (city of brantford doesnt like when you call it a shop) lol

does anyone hear have contacts ? haha plan to build around a 36x40 with 10 cielings i will need a variance i know on the hight they only allow a 14'9 peek height i will need higher...

i can erect the building but the foundation i need idea's and general prices on i got a price on polyurethane (styrofoam) blocks you stack and use plastic spacers thats almost out of the question at close to $5500 unless theres a cheaper setup like it out there.... does anyplace rent regular forms ? concrete blocks a good option ?

thought of a pole barn style which is cheaper but id like the 2' above grade conrete help keep the critters out...

im utwest so its hard at the moment to make calls and get prices

· Registered
846 Posts
planning on building a shop/garage (city of brantford doesnt like when you call it a shop) lol

does anyone hear have contacts ? haha plan to build around a 36x40 with 10 cielings i will need a variance i know on the hight they only allow a 14'9 peek height i will need higher...

i can erect the building but the foundation i need idea's and general prices on i got a price on polyurethane (styrofoam) blocks you stack and use plastic spacers thats almost out of the question at close to $5500 unless theres a cheaper setup like it out there.... does anyplace rent regular forms ? concrete blocks a good option ?

thought of a pole barn style which is cheaper but id like the 2' above grade conrete help keep the critters out...

im utwest so its hard at the moment to make calls and get prices
my dad is currently doing contracting work... if you give me what size and what you want done i can ask him and he can give me a price, he also sells windows so if you need some of those let me know this as well.

· Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im lookin at a 36'Lx40'Wx10'T (interior) with a peek height around 16' even tho id need to get a variance for the height.

2 4'x4' windows
2 10' doors
1 normal size mandoor

the foundations where i need help as ive done minimal concrete work, was thinking 6" thick and a poured floor of 5" to 6" plan to put a 4post hoist and a 2 post in the shop

· Registered
2,303 Posts
I can see lots of GTGs at your "shop"...now if you added a dyno it would be perfect :icon_lol:

· Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha alot of my friends say that 2 lol wont matter to me i plan on living outthere once i get it done haha well almost

the 4post will be moraless for storage come winter months for the truck plop it up there and forget about it till spring (when im not modding it) the 2 post will be used alot

as for the dyno that might be pushing the neighbors to the limit lol

· Registered
846 Posts
im lookin at a 36'Lx40'Wx10'T (interior) with a peek height around 16' even tho id need to get a variance for the height.

2 4'x4' windows
2 10' doors
1 normal size mandoor

the foundations where i need help as ive done minimal concrete work, was thinking 6" thick and a poured floor of 5" to 6" plan to put a 4post hoist and a 2 post in the shop
ok give me a few minutes nad ill let ya know what he said just gotta call him

· Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
checked it and sent, im on a general computer here (1 of 20) and i tried to get on ford truck world but theres to many pop ups so it boots you offline sucks the big one guess i cant post there for a bit

my neighbors are pretty good dont want to piss em off yet before the build anyways lol now if the one would only leave me alone to build a fence a 170' long fence isnt cheap haha

· Registered
796 Posts
If the ground you laying the foundation on is firm then a 4-6" slab will do, however if the ground is soft you may have to back fill to keep the foundation from sinking. The problem with backfilling is drainage. To keep the water down you will need to run some sort of drainage whether it's a graded drain or a sump. I would also consider some 10mm re-bar in the foudation @ 12" centers one layer North and South and one layer East and West if your pouring on soft ground to keep the pad from cracking.

· Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its fairly compacted soil with alot of clay in the low area but sandy soil on the higher area the house was built on, but i need fill as it runs downhill where i want the shop and the one side is higher hard to discribe and i dont have photos handy, im considering bulldozing most of my backyard to level it out or one wall of the foundation will be higher as to accomidate the slope.

drainage id use opipe with a sock to stop the sand and drain it back over the embankment (railline behind the property)

· Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya id go bigger (40x40) but city of brantford will only let you build 10% of your lot size and with trying to get a hieght variance i dont want to fight em on the square footage

only reason i need the height is for snow load on the roof plus if theres room a storage area in the rafters

· Registered
75 Posts
I built a 22x24 shop with 10 foot ceilings about 8 years ago in West Brant. I was told at that time that it was almost the max size for a slab on grade foundation. Something the size you are building would probably have to have a proper poured foundation that goes down below the frost line. You may want to check with the grand river conservation authority too, I had to get a building permit from them as well as the city of Brantford because of where I live. And, I should have listened to the people that told me "plan it then build it bigger!" This shop just isn't big enough, or I collect to much stuff.
Good luck with the build!
JimmyK

· Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok thats some new didnt know about 2 permits hmmm

yeah i plan to pour a foundation or a pole barn style the pole barn being cheaper but the poured foundation would be better

i cant go much bigger then 36x40 im only allowed 10% of lot size and thats just under...unless i try for a variance they may give 1 because my property backs on to a railroad

· Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
looking to get firm prices if anyone does contracting in the brantford area.....be for pad/radiant heat, main walls roof, and exterior finishing.....34x40

· Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
is it as strong or stronger then re-inforced concrete ? with the frost dont want it to heave and crack in the future..... will it work with "Pex" tubeing ? (for radiant heat)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.