Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to start my truck and she won’t start. I can sometimes get the radio to turn on when I have to key selected to battery. With the key in position 2, there is no display lights, key chime (w/ door open) or anything! When I put the key to ignition the “theft” light comes on solid red. I can’t lock my doors or put up the windows. When I open the door or try to lock the door with the remote there is a relay that ticks every half second and all lights (interior and exterior) blink with the sound of the relay.
My first thought was to disconnect the battery as maybe there is something that needs to be reset. Nothing, so I take out the battery and put it on the charger, but it says 100% and 13.65V. I drove the truck about 3 hours prior to this happening.
I asked my neighbour (a ford tech) for help. He figures the relay is clicking because there is no voltage from the battery (the battery is dead). We boost it and she starts, and indicates a charging voltage of 14.65V.
I drive for about 30min and turn her off. As soon as I open my door the lights starting flickering to the relay ticking again, then stops when I close the door. I haven’t tried to restart her as I had to leave an hour prior to this happening.
Is my battery just plain dead?
Does anyone know why there was all this weird stuff happening just because the battery may be bead, or could it be something else???

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Could the relay be shorting out causing the battery to die? Which relay is clicking?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea which relay is clicking....possibly all of the ones what would operate when i open the door or turn the key to pos 1 or 2 (to make the chime).
i have sent this on other sites and i am getting info back that relays are clicking because there is not enough voltage to keep them on. basically the battery is dead.

I posted this on svtperformance.com if you want to see what people have wrote.

I am going to try a "draw test" too, to see if there is anything in the truck causing it to die, although i doubt it as i just drove the truck a few hours eariler with no problems starting.

So off to FORD for a new battery i suppose.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Warranty? Some batteries just die, my Mustang did the same thing. Started and stopped no problem while working on it in the driveway than when it was time to move it for safety...nothing!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think it's the original battery, so it's about time if it is.
As for warranty, i don't know when it was changed, but it's okay...better than some electrical problem! :spz:

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Get a good one, cheap batteries don't last.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Ya, the interstate I put in the 5.0l was strong like bull.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i already went out and bought the motomaster one already....sigh

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Well if it doesn't work you can try the Interstate and keep the Motomaster as original equipment for Shows....lol

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol

im sure the motomaster will work just fine!!
well we'll see friday evening when i get back to sarnia

1 - 15 of 15 Posts