Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am toying with the idea of making a functional hood scoop for my intake when i get a new one.

I have some experience with carbon fiber/fiberglass layups and was thinking it'd be really neat to have for a high performance intake, (Banks K&N etc.) with a functional hood scope. I always hate seeing scoops on a vehicle and they are fake.

My plan is 2 scoops actually. one on the drivers side for the intake and on the passengers side will force air over the turbo assembly, sort of cooling effect. I know it won't do allot to keep the turbo cooler but hey why not it'll be different

Has anyone had experience with this or am I just being silly.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you like scoops, knock yourself out and do er up! But personally I would not replace the factory Donaldson air box. It is a great unit and there have been issues with some of the aftermarket ones. (Too much oil on K&N's messing with sensors down stream, some brands not filtering out small enough debris, etc.)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Banks/K&N= bad idea. Not good for the turbo. They don't filter as well as stock. The stock intake is said to be good for up to 500 hp.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
tie it into the factory set up, only thing i would be concerned with is water for both sides, water on a hot turbo does bad things and water for the intake is always bad

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm The factory box doesn't leave a hell of alot of room for a scoop then. The geometry i was hoping to use would reduce the chance of water in the intake.

Sooo... any suggestions on an intake besides stock? I definetly don't want to fubar the turbo just for a few extra HP and a cool look.

Never did like KN anyways, had one on a nissan i bought off a guy a long time ago and it ruined the valves by letting in too much dust.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The only thing I could think of is messing around with the opening on the end cap on the intake side of the filter and putting a larger diameter hose to let more air in, while still getting the benefits of the factory filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts