Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the safest way to remove the rear view mirror.There is no screw to remove.
I use a Rear View Camera System I built,because of my hight The rear view mirror cuts off my view of the right side of an intersection.
Is there a special technique to remove it.
Rite now it's just turned up so it's out of the way but I need to remove it for a front mounted camera for recording.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
My brother found the best way to do this was to leave the 5 year old in the pickup while running in to get smokes at the store, although the end result was more than clear especially with the hole in the windshield.......GOOD GLUE!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LMAO....Yeah I got three Girl's and they sure do destroy stuff.I'm sure just as good as Boy's do.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
It was his 5 year old daughter....lol

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a little....nib or something that is in the bottom end that must have to be bent out or something.Maybe I should take a picture.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@%%#^#%^$#&% Battery's.....No it's not a allen screw,looks like a small piece of metal.Must find Battery's.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah..I found some. here's a picture of the Rear View Bracket.

Had to put something in front of the windshield so it would work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
if it's a 97 it should have a band of steel going from side to side and no screw the band is not holding it on there's a retainer in back of mount .
heres how to remove mirror :
-If you look very carefully @ bottom of mirror there's a small hole
(rectangle almost against windshield )
Insert a small screw driver into the bottom hole of the mount on the inside bottom edge of rear view mirror <screwdriver will be almost flat on glass>
(there is a spring tab holding it into place in a detent in the mount on the glass )
carefully pull mirror towards headliner may take a few tries but with some effort and some :sign0053: around but you should be successful !
Good luck and keep us posted !

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It just fell off.....lol.....cool

·
Registered
846 Posts
Did you try to push something inside the screw
if its metal it may be a clip
ya on some there are a clip to take them off, my friend got his switched for a different one and they slid something up were a screw would be and it came right off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just turn my stereo up and seconds later it will fall off, lol

I had the same problem at work too, couldnt get it off and I was getting getting pissed and pulled a bit too hard and glass came with it... we were replacing the windshield anyways

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I had the hole mirror kept falling off because of my sound system for a while and I tried and tried to get it to stay, probleme was I had been putting it the way the mirror looked like it should face but I guess when I got the windshield changed they flipped the mirror around so it was going on backwards every time but it looked rite the way it was aimed, I just turned the mirror 180* from the swivel, poped it on, never fell off since.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts