Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first off, my truck is an 07 f150 supercrew 4x4. The problem im having is when i take off from a standstill everything is fine, and then i start to hear a constant clunking noise. Its lets off when i take my foot off the gas, but comes back when i hit the accelerator again. I was thinking maybe U joints? But im not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
1,600 Posts
Any vibration or just noise?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Check for a TSB ( Slip Bump ) from a ford service department . I had a similar problem with my 09 .

·
Registered
260 Posts
Diff fluid low (due to a leak)? Was a friction modifier/ additive put in during the last service?
Does the clunking noise ( or perhaps a shutter) become worse when turning a corner while under acceleration?

·
Premium Member
4,280 Posts
sounds like something on it's way out..who did the check?..did they take the diff cover off?..What in the diff is making the noise?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Had the same thing on our 04 F150. Went to replace the rear U-Joint and I had a cracked yoke that was on the differential. It was cheaper to replace the drive shaft as an assembly for $600, came with a front splined shaft and the rear yoke with 2 new u-joints.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You want to hope that the trouble could be a cracked yoke or U joint, and not the rear diff. posi. clutch packs...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i ended up having pretty much a while new rear end put in. About 2000 dollars worth of work. Only cost me my 100 dollar deductible though!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well i ended up having pretty much a while new rear end put in. About 2000 dollars worth of work. Only cost me my 100 dollar deductible though!
Did you have them refill it with Royal Purple brand diff. fluid along with the Ford Diff. additive?

·
Registered
874 Posts
What was the actual issue?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts