Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we found out just before christmas that our policy was cancelled because of the wreck in the summer. Needless to say we had to do some serious shopping around, wife is classified high risk and I am incident free since '93.

The final conclusion was 2 seperate policies, one for the wife and I on the Fusion and the second policy being just me on the Supercrew and Lightning with her signing a waiver saying she wouldn't drive either. Not a problem being that she thinks the Supercrew is too big and the Lightning scares the crap out of her(she hates being a passenger let alone driving it). The kicker my premium of just me on 2 vehicles is 17% of what her premium is with me and her one car.

We got this news the week before christmas, the same week I lost my job. So I tell my broker insure the cheaper truck for now and I will add the second in February, needless to say I'm off to the store now to get the kitty litter we need for the next 2 years so I can "store" it in the Lightning.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Yeah I know the feeling..
My insurance is finally coming down..
I had an accident in 2001.. and 2 in 2002 within a month.. so I was paying like 6000 for pl and pd.. basic..

In the last 5yrs I paid somewhere around the 25-30,000 for insurance.. And I know for sure they didn't pay out that much..

I've always had to drive so I have had to continue to pay out the wazoo..

but.. Try either Economocial, Perth, and Kingway < which are really slow to do policy changes, but do 6mnth policy's so if there is a change/ year roll over on the accident you get the discount sooner)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Geez 2 years worth?? Just how big is your cat? :icon_lol:
Its too bad about your insurance. Those rat bastards are just greedy crooks. They really screwed me when my old truck got stolen. Now with the group insurance I get thru work I'm paying just over 1K for the truck&renters insurance.

Oh congrats on 2500 posts!! :icon_lol:

·
Registered
326 Posts
hey hey check out comercial insurance a lot cheaper funny thing ppl DON'T NO is Trucks ppl have tool boxes etc. in back Right well theres a clause you didn;t no about the Rat bastrds don;t tell you if you get into a accident and lets say tool box flys out and hits something your not covered under insurance WTF A
with comercial insurance you can have stuff in box fly out and hot something your covered , a little thought
I don;t get it had to insure F350 so i shop around and they say has it bin modded so i say yes lifted etc. then they go off saying they need a appraisal,
I'm like hey pinhead i just want valued coverage of what it is worth period
and go on weather my truck is 10,000 or 500,000 doesn't make a difference to you pricks its what i want it covered for GET it .
As if your going to pay the appraised value you ****ers will find and always reduce your BS so it a win win for you guys and a loose loose for the public

And whats this high risk crap. Geez to my understanding thats why we get insurance isn't it ????

PS: There was one place that said they wouldn;t insure truck cause it was lifted I flipped i said now you guys make the laws for the road This could result in Court action Suit. i mentioned weather a truck is lifted or anything is done to it as long as it follows DOT Guidelines And passes inspection, and meets all the laws of the the road you pricks cannot use a vehicle to not insure
anyways there my Rant and YES i got insurance lol. insurance companys need to be put back in there place Period

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thru Wawanesa at a great rate on the Lightning, she is on with Coachman(high risk). The Supercrew is Mothballed as of midnight.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After day one of having to drive the Lightning to work.....

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Ouch...I see a lot of car washes in your future.
Are those tires gonna be any good at all if it snows?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^They suck in just the rain, no washing til spring.

·
Registered
327 Posts
uggh, that poor poor truck..........winter driving so bad...........

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
looks like you might need to put the lift kit on the lightning so you can put decent tires on it man sorry to hear and yes insurance companys are such crooks

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
4 days of hell over, Supercrew back on the road.

·
Registered
245 Posts
After day one of having to drive the Lightning to work.....

:sign0082:
i feel so sorry for her (your truck)!

i hear ya dude....i hate insurance companies...think of how much we could mod our trucks if it wasn't for insurance!!! LOL

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
i hear ya on the insurance ! had a 2000 4x4 rolled it not charged had replacement cost took 2months of me calling everyday 2 get the claim settled i didnt care either fix it or right it off and they had the nerve to ask if i rolled it on pourpus to collect the full amount for the truck.... bought a 99 reg cab v6 was a pile of junk from day 1 so i traded it on my current weekend/show truck had it looked at and pics taken sent to insurance company, did some mods lowered,hood,headlights,fiberglass taunno,rollpan,duel exhaust... they call me up and say they have lost the paperwork that i need to have it re-inspected ok i was pissed off but it had to be done to get coverage so had the pics done sent in get a call they wont insure the truck because it was modified for street racing.... i was like street raceing ? (i was living in waterford at the time town of 3000 maybe) i dont have speeding tickets i dont live in an area even associated for street raceing and its a 5000lb truck well the OEM heads i put in taunno cover and cat back exhaust put it over....

it was RBC Insurance (div from royal bank) will never deal with them again and i advise anyone else not to either unless you want to get the run around and lied to on just about everything...

since switched to Townsend Farmers Mutual where they dont care the trucks modded if i want to insure it for what i have in it then i just get it appraised other then that if i insure it they said they can only give me current value which is fine

Ins companies gouge everyone

·
Registered
245 Posts
i recently asked state farm (thats who i insure the lightning with) and they said the truck wouldn't have a problem being insured for what i have and will be doing it it, BUT i would get next to nothing for the mods (after an accident) if i got the truck appraised for the mods added.
Also, i was told that if i were to start saying i have all these "mods" people might start asking if "any one of those mods" caused the accident.

My insurance company also asked head office with out giving my name and truck and policy #, just in case.

And, its a good thing to know in case you are driving illegally with your mods!!! it would suck to get nothing for your truck cuz its "illegal" (state farm doesnt like raised trucks i hear)

·
Registered
74 Posts
^^^They suck in just the rain, no washing til spring.
Guy I worked for used his Lightning year round as a work truck. We delivered for a LOT of the various delaers in the GTA. He drove that thing snow or no. Often picked up at Sterling and loaded with Heavy truck Brake drums. Let's just say they're REAL heavy! LOL.

people would say "How could you DO that to a LIGHTNING???"

His reply. "It's a TRUCK!" LOL.

As for insurance. They are truly a bad scene. Did you know that in the U.S. (I can't get the answer about here.) that the Insurance industry is EXEMPT from Ethics laws? Seriously!

Kinda funny how they raised all the rates after 9/11 when THEY made the bad investments but WE apparently were at fault! It wasn't the payouts that year OR for Katrina that raised rates. It was a bad stock market year and the insurance indusrtry makes their money from investments and screwed up.

I was once charged for Careless driving. lost my brakes and used a brick wall at 90 kmn/h to stop the car. OUCH. LOL. Went to court. Got off. But when a few years later looking for another insurance agent had my broker write on my "insurance history" Careless driving. I asked him what that was about. he said "It's not whether you got off, it's because you were charged in the first place." so yeah. The insurance companys consider themselves above a court of law!! The officer who took my case said to me "You were anything BUT careless!" LOL.

I could go on as i've done plenty of research but be careful as they're using EVERYTHING to raise rates/drop people.

My broker warned me a few years ago that policy was now that even if you were a few days late with a payment and told them in advance they would DROP YOU!! That USED to be "miss two payments". Now what happens?

You go for insurance and that box that says "Have you for any reason been dropped by an insurance company?" you have to check yes and have no way of explanation. Guess what? Now you're on Facility!! Seriously.

2 words. BE CAREFUL!!

I been off work for almost 2 years so am not currently insured. I have a spotless license, haven't had an accident since a fender bender in '99, (Lady decided she was going to use me as a curb. LOL.) and on average before this drove 200 000 km a year plus. (At LEAST!!) Mostly city traffic too.

Now, when I get "on the road" again, I will be insured as a "new driver". If you don't have "consecutive insurance" for one year in Ontario you are started over as a new driver!!

Bloody theives.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
even if you don't have a license..

put your self on someone else's insurance as an occassional driver just to "get experience" so in well prolly 7yrs when ur insurance is affordable.. you can pay for it.. or in otherwords.. your just standing still.. and ur rates won't go down until it shows u have been driving..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Funny how they work isn't it? I am driving but because we don't currently have a vehicle and so not insured THEY decide I have "no experience".

I actually had years ago an experience. The same company that I mentioned above with the "careless" incident also started me over as a "new" driver after 6 months!!

I was between vehicles and hadn't renewed and after getting 2 new (used.) vehicles my insurance went from just over $400 a year to $2200 EACH VEHICLE to $4400 a year!!

I later found out it was a year that in Ontario they do this, but they'd done it after 6 months!! When I tried to switch insurance companies they then pulled the above. I also later learned that your insurance "record" is supposed to be a print out but they gave me a piece of lines paper with my "driving record" written in pen.

They had the so-called "careless" there and a ticket I had gotten for 10 km/h over (I was young and dumb back then and thought I was supposed to report it!) was wriiten as --

"Moving Violation. (SPEEDING!!)"

Yes they even capitalized the speeding remark and added the two exclamation marks!

And of course because of how they'd written it, it was useless to use to go to another company.

This company eventually went from having my entire families business (Who'd went to the original broker before he sold to them) to having NONE!! As they had started raising everyone's rates the same way by using various tricks to raise them. This was back in the 90's too so well before any of the current cut throat tactics.

But it also led me to eventually doing some research on the thieves and what I found out was just how bad they really are.

As for your idea. I'm usually insured at work but after being off 2 years they (justifiably) don't currently have me insured on their trucks.

I'm not too worried as I know how it works and as soon as we are able will be moving to Northern Ontario anyways. Might be a few years but....LOL.

Sidenote too: When we moved back to Toronto from a small village Northwest of here, my insurance literally quadrupled!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts