Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been checking trader lately looking for a 7.3, what are the most recent years of the 7.3?
Was it available in both configurations or duallie only?

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
The Power stoke 7.3 was made from 1999-2003, and it was available in both configurations

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap, too old need '06 or newer.
Might have to go the Cummins route now.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anything is better than a Cat, the new truck at work has a C15 what a dog.....lol.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The best engine for fuel economy
Right, but does that include the extra hour of running every day to keep up with what the ISX used to do.....j/k!:icon_lol:

·
Registered
82 Posts
why would you not get the 6.0? more power, better mileage, mine 7.3 was a sluggish ole hog but the 6 is perfect, i have a tool trailer as i am a carpenter that i haul everyday and i dont see how you couldnt need more... your choice i guess

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm the guy who brings the motors to Ford's rebuilders. that's why. LOL. First they couldn't get the 6.0 to run, then it wouldn't stay together. It got better eventually but was still one of the biggest mistakes they ever made.

The guys at the warehouse where we drop and pick up warranty engines aren't "carguys", and to them the crates are just part numbers. But even they commented on the 6.0 as they see so many show up, many had less than 5000 km on them.

One customer had told me if they hadn't improved as much as they had in 2005 he was going to change his entire fleet over to Dodge, even though he didn't want to. This was far from being abnormal to hear.

Yes, the 6.0 did improve and many have done fine but there is still way too high a percentage of bad ones. Ford even had a dedicated "team" working on the warranty claims on it, they were so numerous.

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
The 6.0L had Issues alright it was affectionately called the 6 Leaker

I'd Rather a 7.3 over a 6 Leaker

·
Registered
82 Posts
hmm, i was unaware it was such a catastrphie! hahaha, i mustve got a damn good one, i put about 300km a day on it for the past 3yrs and havent done any engine work that wasnt routine, filter change etc. still drive it to work everyday and runs perfect!

·
Registered
74 Posts
And a lot of people never had a problem with it.

It was worse during 2003-2004. The biggest headache at that point was the software. Ford kept doing reflashes and it still ran badly. I had one customer who specializes in the 7.3 (His race car evn uses 7.3 as it's number LOL) and Ford diesels in general say to me "You guys can't get them to run but WE can!" and laughed.

Later on it was stuff like weak head studs, and gaskets and oil leaks around the bellhousing. There were even stories about them leaking on the dealer's lots.

Now, if I recall part of this right (?), Ford DID issue a repair but the truck had to be sold first as it wasn't technically covered under warranty until actually sold? Something like that.

I also watched a salesman at the dealer I work at one cold morning start a new truck up (I'm assuming for a customer to test drive) and leave it idling. Half hour later when I was loaded up and leaving I saw it was still idling. Now I don't know if you're aware of this but I also recall that during break in Ford suggests never idling more than 5 minutes!! With light truck diesels, this is a pretty general rule anyways. My thought upon leaving was "I'm sure glad I'M not buying THAT truck!!"

And yes, some of the problems with the 6.0 (and others) is "self inflicted" like EGR valves plugging. Usually again from owners believing the old myth about leaving diesels idling for long periods of time. One time, this was normal practice, but with modern diesels not a very good idea. If using a power takeoff or other business related equipment where you need the truck running, it is usually reccomended to add a fast idle circuit thingie for this very reason.

I'm no expert so if I missed anything, anyone who has the info, feel free to add it. LOL.

Also: A lot of the problems with the 6.0 were when people modded them as it was already being stressed. Navistar had very few problems as they had their own software and rated the engines much lower thereby stressing them less. That's why Ford and Navistar were in a lawsuit a while ago, because each was blaming the other for the problems with the 6.0 and both were trying to get the other to pay more of the out of control warranty expenses.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
with the 7.3 will it still make decent power ? been keeping an eye out for a clean 99-03 4x4 either a 250/350 or an excursion whats there average fuel mil ? im skeptical of the 6L with all the probs and wouldnt think of buying a diesel from outwest here unless new most have the snot beat out of them

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you look at a site like thedieselstop.com, you will see a lot of guys use the 7.3 when they mod a diesel.

Stock, the 6.0 puts out more power obviously. And it depends on what you want from it. Modders prefer the 7.3 as a base because it can take more of a beating.

Fuel mileage is a tricky question. You go on some forums and there are guys claiming as high as 30 mpg. BULL!!

The range for both the 6.0 and 7.3 are pretty much the same. Some claim as low as single digits and some claim as high as 23 mpg. (American gallon) I find the average is between 12 and 19 so it's safe to hope for 15-17 from any of these trucks.

Also look at mods but not TOO much! Some performance mods will in moderation increase mpg. It's funny really as the greenies attacked the Excursion and I know of one case where a guy drives his as his "commuter car" because he found it got BETTER mpg than his MR2!! He was getting 22-23 mpg average on his mostly highway commute.

I've seriously considered a 7.3 Excursion as a kid hauler because it's both more reliable and gets better mpg than any minivan on the market. Safer too!

I'll probably get something smaller but that's only because I don't really want a diesel but the Excursion is far from ruled out!

·
Registered
529 Posts
with the 7.3 will it still make decent power ? been keeping an eye out for a clean 99-03 4x4 either a 250/350 or an excursion whats there average fuel mil ? im skeptical of the 6L with all the probs and wouldnt think of buying a diesel from outwest here unless new most have the snot beat out of them
Remember that only job1 trucks (built before Nov4, 2002) has 7.3L's. The 6.0 started online Nov 4. The easilest way to tell in a for sale photo is to look for the no signal mirrors (if it has towing mirrors) as the signal mirrors were introduced in conjunction with the new engine. The door badges got some red paint as well but thats harder to see in a small photo. I had a 99.5 and 03 7.3L and a 04 & 07 6.0L. Mileage is similar with both. I put 300K on my 99.5 and kept track of every drop of fuel. I towed between 4K-10K for about 30% of those KM's and the truck was at 15.8mpg when I sold it. Hope that helps!

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
I know I'm very seriously looking at a 7.3 Excursion for a kid hauler and will not hesitate. The 6.0 I would think would have had any problems taken care of by now but I still don't want to take the chance.
To the best of my knowledge the 6.0 's major problem was because of head gaskets blowing due to some ones great idea to use 3 head bolts per cylinder instead of four i would buy a 7.3 but not a 6.0 although you can make more power with a 6.0, personally I prefer the 7.3 hands down

1 - 20 of 21 Posts