Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So truck has 67k on it..
I just got back from local ford dealer from getting tires rotated and lube/oil/filter.. Well they let me know I need a new air filter.. Which I didn't do cause I'm gunna go K&N..
And I need the front left shock replaced.. :icon_confused:

He hasn't heard of the shocks going that soon on the truck and apparently they aren't covered under my extended warranty..
I didn't argue since I have the leveling kit on it..

Well I priced it out.. roughly 200 bucks..

so My question is..
What would be a light upgrade?.. possibly the same price?
Also.. Does anyone know if the BaseCare warranty does cover the shocks? Or am I right since the leveling kit is there.. it voids it.. ?

I don't offroad the truck.. mainly highway driving.. I just want a shock that won't be hurt due to being extended by the leveling kit..

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the HD series are cheaper?
or the 5100 series?

Which are more of a factory replacement install?

Also when I go to www.bilstein.com and look up 05 F150 XLT it only lists the HD shocks?

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
Irish FX4 just put on the 5100's and alpine just put on some as well I know they love em', I have 5100's on my truck as well and no complaints either, I think in your application those would be the ticket, I doubt you would be dissapointed

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay.. So i did research.. since the other topic seems a bit unclear..

the HD series shocks are for standard height only
the 5100 Series are for 0-2" or 6" lifts.. so I would need the 5100 series due to the leveling kit..

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
Sorry I was a little unclear on this one my bad, the 5100's on the 04 + F 150 front shock applications are adjustable so you can use the shock as your leveling kit

In-case you are wondering this is how I would describe the 5100's The ride is great. you may think you would have a stiff harsh ride but its not. It is stiffer but I wouldn't say harsher. I know it seems weird to say that. But the shocks handle and smooth out the small bumps and pot holes well and they also improve handling and cornering greatly maybe Irish fx4 or alpine will chime in and help out further

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I was a little unclear on this one my bad, the 5100's on the 04 + F 150 front shock applications are adjustable so you can use the shock as your leveling kit

In-case you are wondering this is how I would describe the 5100's The ride is great. you may think you would have a stiff harsh ride but its not. It is stiffer but I wouldn't say harsher. I know it seems weird to say that. But the shocks handle and smooth out the small bumps and pot holes well and they also improve handling and cornering greatly maybe Irish fx4 or alpine will chime in and help out further
??? :icon_confused:

Well I understand what your saying about the ride quality about the 5100 series shocks..
Now do I need them though because I have a leveling kit?
I don't need to raise the front any further because it will be way too much strain on the balljoints..

As for the HD series.. are they only a factory replacement for factory ride height?

Still unsure what the differences between the 2 are..

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
IF it were my truck and it needed shocks I would put in the 5100 bilstien's and take out the leveling kit and just adjust the front shocks to level it out

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I'll ask about getting replaced under warranty.. Worth a shot.. The truck is a highway queen.. lol

·
Registered
198 Posts
??? :icon_confused:

Well I understand what your saying about the ride quality about the 5100 series shocks..
Now do I need them though because I have a leveling kit?
I don't need to raise the front any further because it will be way too much strain on the balljoints..

As for the HD series.. are they only a factory replacement for factory ride height?

Still unsure what the differences between the 2 are..
Yes the HD's are for a stock suspension or at most maybe a rear shackle kit.
If you are at all lifted go with 5100's. You are better off using shocks for a lifted truck and compressing them than to use stock shocks and stretching them. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes the HD's are for a stock suspension or at most maybe a rear shackle kit.
If you are at all lifted go with 5100's. You are better off using shocks for a lifted truck and compressing them than to use stock shocks and stretching them. I hope this helps.
Oh of course..
I just wasn't sure with the specs on the HD and their best usages..

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I would not go stock shocks, leveling kit or not....Thier are good aftermarket shocks out there that aren't expensive at all. I would replace all 4

·
Registered
81 Posts
Get the 5100's and ditch the leveling kit. The ride is way better and you will not get a better shock. The ride is not harsh and actually its real nice. I just did mine and i had a 2" AS leveling kit installed which i took out and set my 5100's to the 2" setting which gave me the same lift as the 2" AS leveling kit.
If anything dont get the HD as they are for a heavy duty application and the ride will be very harsh.
Listen to people who have them like SKRWZ and my self. The 5100's will give you what your looking for.
My info and SKRWZ's is from experience and not here say and BS.
Hey Viper238,
Your more than welcome to come drive my truck and look at the lift you get with these Bilstien 5100's. That will erase some of the negative miss informed BS you have been getting.
Irish.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get the 5100's and ditch the leveling kit. The ride is way better and you will not get a better shock. The ride is not harsh and actually its real nice. I just did mine and i had a 2" AS leveling kit installed which i took out and set my 5100's to the 2" setting which gave me the same lift as the 2" AS leveling kit.
If anything dont get the HD as they are for a heavy duty application and the ride will be very harsh.
Listen to people who have them like SKRWZ and my self. The 5100's will give you what your looking for.
My info and SKRWZ's is from experience and not here say and BS.
Hey Viper238,
Your more than welcome to come drive my truck and look at the lift you get with these Bilstien 5100's. That will erase some of the negative miss informed BS you have been getting.
Irish.
I haven't really recieved any negative comments on the Bilstein 5100.. I was just curious between them and the HD after being suggested them.. If you check over the thread I was merely trying to find out the differences inbetween the 2.. But have been only pushed towards the 5100 series..

Don't get me wrong.. I appreciate the efforts and I know you all are looking out for me and don't want me to be disappointed and spend money I don't have..

Thanks for the info I will keep it in mind..

Also since I already have the leveling kit installed.. What would be the down side of leaving it installed and swapping in the 5100 shocks (but leaving them @ stock height) and putting the backs @ 1" up to bring the back up a hair?

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
OK heres the thing the 5100's for the 97-03 trucks are a NON ADJUSTABLE shock for the 04 + trucks ONLY THE FRONT ARE ADJUSTABLE NOT THE REARS so it is not necessary to run a leveling kit and IMO I personally don't think "Stacking" the leveling it on a adjustable shock is a good idea to just gain a inch all you are doing it creating a weak link if you need shocks and cant get them covered under warranty you might want to check out irish fx4's truck

·
Registered
81 Posts
I haven't really recieved any negative comments on the Bilstein 5100.. I was just curious between them and the HD after being suggested them.. If you check over the thread I was merely trying to find out the differences inbetween the 2.. But have been only pushed towards the 5100 series..

Don't get me wrong.. I appreciate the efforts and I know you all are looking out for me and don't want me to be disappointed and spend money I don't have..

Thanks for the info I will keep it in mind..

Also since I already have the leveling kit installed.. What would be the down side of leaving it installed and swapping in the 5100 shocks (but leaving them @ stock height) and putting the backs @ 1" up to bring the back up a hair?
The 5100's can only be adjusted on the front. It gives you the option to lift the front of the truck 1" or 2" or leave it at stock. The rears can accommodate a 2" lift as they have extra travel. If it was me i would remove the leveling kit and just put it on its 2" setting. One less thing to worry about.
Not sure what kit you have on but im sure there all pretty much the same in thickness. The 2" AS kit is 1 1/2" thick and the 2.5" AS is 1 5/8" thick. There is only a 1/8 '' difference, but that 1/8" makes a big difference with the severe angles some guys get. The 2.5" leveling kit can give you severe angles .
Dont ask me why but my truck seems to handle and feels better with the leveling kit removed. Maybe its just the shocks! Who knows.
I would remove the kit if you do decide to go with the 5100's. Just my opinion. And yes you can install these shocks with the leveling kit your already using. But you will probably have to remove them to install the shock anyways.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I realize this thread is ancient but I just wanted to share with everyone that my right rear Bilstein leaked out all of its oil. I just installed it 5 months and less than 4000km ago and did only some minor off-roading.

Anyway they have a lifetime warranty, I think so it shouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't even have noticed if my buddy didn't ask me what was leaking from my truck on his lawn where I parked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts