Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a solid axle w/ 10 bolt hubs in my '83 1 ton. I'm pretty sure the axle is from an 88 super duty 2wd. Other than it rides like crap (some have told me this is because of the swing shackle being at the front... Wish I had known this, I could have swapped it while I was installing.) Regardless of ride though I'm looking to lift this truck about 6-8". How should I go about this, new leafs, re-arching, lowering shackles, blocks (probably not blocks) or what else should I do. I'm not afraid to remove it and start over, I just need some direction. Please help...

· Registered
324 Posts
Is it okay to block the front? Have people done this?

Yes people have to gain 2 to 3 inches by doing this .You mentioned you want to go 6 - 8" well your right at the Height of big changes, What i mean 6"lifts you don't need Driveshafts lengthened, cross over steering, etc, at 8" this is where big changes happen, in your front end camber and castor, It looks real easy to just lift trucks, but in theory theres a ton of changes,And if not done by a compitent person could very well lead to poor handleing, rough rideing, as well possibly fail safety.
Tell me how high you want to go an i will post whats needed
Thanks John

· Registered
2,101 Posts
Unless you want to go all out and money is no issue stick with 6" suspension lift. Higher then 6" suspension lift your looking at alot of changes. I preety sure if you want more hight after that you can go up to 3" body lift alot of guys do that I personally am not to crazy for body lift's, keep that frame hidden as much as possible.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wondered as well about getting rid of my 2wd super duty axle, and putting a 4wd in it's place, mainly to get away from the large drop of the 2wd (it looks like and old solid axle in a model T)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.