Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
6.0's with work are reliable and make gobbs more power then the 7.3. the 7.3 is a good motor but is weak in the rods so if you put power to them they break
Only ones with week rods are mainly the 02's and 03's...some 01's had a test batch of the Powdered Metal Rods but previous years had the good forged rods.

Also to the OP don't plan on the improved mileage to be as improved as you may with, especially when you throw in the added costs of maintenance, oil changes etc.

Winter mileage is usually pretty brutal compared with a gasser as well because of extended warm up times, with my 7.3 I would usually avg 10 mpg in the winter

I'll sell you mine for 15g's Specs are in the sig. Well maybe. I'm kinda hooked on her and my 7.3 will out work and 6.0 :) .
with my mods I get 22mpg MT 17 mpg towing 8000lbs and under. Low mpg in the winter is mainly due to unnecessary idling.

I just went through atruck upgrade myself from a 90-250 302 to 7.3 di 250 94 always read good things and reliability is what i wanted for long trips ,but im sure i will be asking q's astese trucks are always telling you something ....

6.0 diesels are hit and miss and if you get a lemon be ready too drop 10 gs on deletes and parts too keep it running plus ANY engine work that involves heads an such req the removal or jacking of the can of the truck and if you don't have an extensive garage and alot of tool this can prove difficult an in a shop can break the bank but the 6,0 is more horse more tourqe more Economy as stated above. Realiblilty and lower cost is a 7.3 powerstroke direct injection. 99-03 94.4 -95.5 n has a turbo but idi meaning indirect injection which runs 195 horse 350 tourqe more or less a tractor hauls anything but no real horse or speed idi is mechanical more then electronic counterpart late 95 -99 was more direct injection 7.3 as stated above the diesel world is different ball game an can be over whelmjng going in head first. Buying used diesels are risky bussiness as they can beat too shit but still look good do your shopping carefully and take some one with that knows diesels fairly well to look at them if you want more advice or have questions pm me I dove in diesels head first two years ago and learne alot the hard way still learning the hard way too ill gladly help ya along best I can. Good luck.

Ps look for 03 7.3 crew cab short box with zf6 and manul trans case that's my recommendation last year or the monster 7.3 chipped and cd air intake exhaust and upgraded turbo. Can get around 490 horse just bolt ons

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.