Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey kids,

For a while now I've tossed around the idea of moving north to the Yukon from Toronto, and now come October I'm making that happen. I've given notice at my shop and I'll be leaving Oct 21. With a detour to Vancouver to see some family, I plan on being in Whitehorse around the 5th of November.

Yes, I know it's cold. I've been to the Territories before, but never in the winter. Tonight I spoke with my cousins who live just outside Whitehorse for some help planning, but the more help I can get the better.

So for my 4x4, 5-speed B4000 ...

- light engine oil (0W30 synthetic instead of 5W30 syn.)
- drain and fill coolant with proper mix for -50ish
- more gas line anti-freeze for the washer fluid
- gas line anti-freeze for the gas
- make sure the block heater works : )
- magnetic pan heater
- heated battery blanket

Do I need to do anything for my tranny, x-fer case and diffs?

Otherwise, since I'm a wrench and I'm moving cross the country I'll have my toolbox in the bed. So I'll be set for tools in case of an emergency. And of course I'll have a bit of a safety/survival kit for the 'just in case' scanarios. My favourite for those is methly hydrate absorbed into a roll of TP stuffed into a tobacco tin. Strike a match to it and you have instant canned heat for hours : )

Also, I'm taking my quad with me. It has a plow blade on it, so I think I'll use it this winter to help clear snow. I guess the same tips go for the ATV?

For my outboard I guess just drain the bottom end and empty the carb and lines? And the chainsaw ..... I think I'll just run it dry and drain out any bar oil. Or am I stupid? lol

·
Premium Member
4,280 Posts
Hey kids,

For a while now I've tossed around the idea of moving north to the Yukon from Toronto, and now come October I'm making that happen. I've given notice at my shop and I'll be leaving Oct 21. With a detour to Vancouver to see some family, I plan on being in Whitehorse around the 5th of November.

Yes, I know it's cold. I've been to the Territories before, but never in the winter. Tonight I spoke with my cousins who live just outside Whitehorse for some help planning, but the more help I can get the better.

So for my 4x4, 5-speed B4000 ...

- light engine oil (0W30 synthetic instead of 5W30 syn.)
- drain and fill coolant with proper mix for -50ish
- more gas line anti-freeze for the washer fluid
- gas line anti-freeze for the gas
- make sure the block heater works : )
- magnetic pan heater
- heated battery blanket

Do I need to do anything for my tranny, x-fer case and diffs?

Otherwise, since I'm a wrench and I'm moving cross the country I'll have my toolbox in the bed. So I'll be set for tools in case of an emergency. And of course I'll have a bit of a safety/survival kit for the 'just in case' scanarios. My favourite for those is methly hydrate absorbed into a roll of TP stuffed into a tobacco tin. Strike a match to it and you have instant canned heat for hours : )

Also, I'm taking my quad with me. It has a plow blade on it, so I think I'll use it this winter to help clear snow. I guess the same tips go for the ATV?

For my outboard I guess just drain the bottom end and empty the carb and lines? And the chainsaw ..... I think I'll just run it dry and drain out any bar oil. Or am I stupid? lol
Glad you're moving up..we need all the northern members we can get..LOL. I'm in Watson, so about 4 hours from Whitehorse. Alot of people here use their quads for snow removal...i ain't one of them..I never even try to start mine in the winter..easier to get a buddy with a bobcat to do mine. Not sure how they get theirs to start in the winter..probably keep a trickle charger on the battery. The rest of the machine should be up to the task. Good choice on the outboard, get rid of any water before it freezes in there. My chainsaw stays outside all winter with no problems, i put in winter bar oil in Oct and that's it. The pickup looks good for your suggestions...i run the factory 5W20 with no probs, but it gets plugged in after -35. I also have the oilpan heater..The tranny don't like the -40 and lower temps either, but stops complaining after a few minutes. I don't touch the transfer case or diffs. I also have never run gasline antifreeze..maybe just been lucky. Welcome to the North. Maybe i'll look you up after you get there some time.

·
Registered
479 Posts
lol mine didnt move when it was -45 or colder......it was the first time for that. now i have gone to red line trans fluid so im ready for when i go back up :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips .... I'm a big fan of winter, but I've never done one where it gets quite so chilly. I'm trying to take in as much info as I can before I depart.

As for the jobs - eh we'll see. lol ... I know things slow down up there once the snow flies, but I do think I'm pretty employable. I'm a 3rd year apprentice wrench. From what I gather shops tend to like guys like me; young enough to not get paid much but old enough to make the shop some money.

To be honest, I'll take a job doing near anything as soon as I arrive, so long as it puts a warm roof over my head, pays for the truck and puts some food on the table. Of course I'd love to work in a shop from the very start, but I'm trying to cover the 'what if' scenarios.

Now I'm torn on what to do with my sled. For certain I'm bringing my quad, but my old 97 Cat 600 Triple is getting a little tired. And besides that, she's a bit of a trail queen or ice rider anyway - way too heavy to go boondockin. I tihnk I may grab something newer up there : )

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm here! I had a fantastic road trip/vacation getting up here with a nice detour to Calgary and Vancouver to visit friends.

I got into Whitehorse at my cousin's place the evening of the 3rd. When I was nearing town I heard about the Olympic Torch celebration in town, and I drove to the SS Klondike just in time to catch a close glimpse.

The following day, my first real day in town, I landed a job at whitehorse Subaru. Now tonight I'm going to check out a room to rent, and once I can land one of those then I'm all set. So far so good!

Everybody has been incredibly friendly and welcoming - even toward those of us from Toronto ; ) .... I love it (and I'm missing my sled) already!

·
Premium Member
4,280 Posts
Glad you made er..i was in town the week before last..i'll have to pop in and visit with you next time i'm up there..but i aint buying a scooby doo.(subaru)..as for the sled dilema..there are dealers there:icon_rolleyes::icon_biggrin:..great spring sledding towards Haines,Alaska..

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hey, I grew up in C.F.U. also. I think you'll like it up here.

Sounds like you've got all the bases covered. I second what NS said. I run the stock
5W30, but synthetic in the winter, in my B4000. As for the tranny, difs and t-case, that's just the stock fluids, too. It's stiff to shift for a minute, but take it easy, and it loosens right up.

Don't get too attached to your windshield. It's almost impossible to avoid getting your truck rocked-up in the winter up here. A cracked windshield is pretty much standard equipment around here. You may want to think about putting some mesh behind your grill, too, to keep the rocks out.

The only small tips I can add (more convenience than necessities), is to get a couple of block heater extension cords that are better quality rubber so they don't get too stiff in the cold. A six-footer, and a longer one for when you can't park close to an outlet.

Silicone spray is good to put on the weatherstrip around your doors so they don't freeze shut as easily. Also good for locks. Be careful if you wash your truck in winter. Locks, doors, and EVERYTHING freezes up. I've frozen off the vent lines for the diffs, and that stuff comes out somewhere once they warm up -- usually the axle seals. Park it overnight in a heated spot if you can, to let things dry out.

If you have a frame mounted hitch receiver, you might want to get a shackle adaptor. That way, in case you hit the ditch, with your rear end pointed out, it's easier for someone to give you a yank. I don't know why B4000s don't come with a rear tow hook? And you do have a recovery strap, right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
morn. im 10 years in whitehorse, 360,000 on my ranger xlt. sounds like some good advice
you,ve been given hear. might add some good winter tires as 6 months will be spent on
pretty much nothin but ice. lots of us canvass up the front from the hood to as for under
as possible. will help you keep some heat. at min. a grill cover or piece of cardboard
blocking out the front of your rad. As for machanical id add: seal conditioners for motor
and tranny, ct has them on hand, prevent your seals from shrinking. I,ve duralubed my
motor, huge difference in cold starup (-50) and combined with synthetics she,s run
every time. Warning, I froze my but off after duralubing in the fall as it knocked my
run temp down 20%, wait untill spring. make sure you dont replace any belts in the dead
of winter, have a spare and change it as a last resort. to cold for them to break in they
may fall to pieces very quickly. spare wiper blades, rubber doesn,t like the cold.
and on a final note a heated seat cusion, and back brace for the 5 km you,ll be driving
on square tires every morn. best wishes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for more tips guys ...

- i do run synthetic oil already, so no changes there
- my windshield was already cracked and i knew better than to fix it before coming up ; )
- the mesh and a winter cover in front of the a/c condensor is a good idea
- i have had a receiver hitch (with a tow loop) and a recovery strap since forever

thanks guys again. so far i'm having a good go of things up here!

oh, and i brought up my .303 enfield, but i'd love a little clip fed bolt action, or even a lever action .22. anybody know a good spot to find one? i want something to plink with.

·
Premium Member
4,280 Posts
Get a copy of the Yukon News and check out the classifieds in the back, under the Guns & Bows section..i see one for sale in the Oct21 issue...but keep checking.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Did any of us mention booster cables? I also find those portable jumper battery packs can come in handy, since I forget to shut off the headlights at least once every winter, or someone else does. You'v'e probably got those, but just saying ...

By the time we're done with you, you'll be ready for an Antarctic expedition.

·
Premium Member
4,280 Posts
Alot of good info guys..things i take for granted because they're all common place for us Northerners..I carry a shovel and a toolbox during winter..sandbags are good also..if you need traction, dirt is a scoop away...If you get to be friends with the Gov't guys, sometimes they'll fill your sandbags with the same stuff we put on the roads..that way the dirt in the bags don't freeze.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, just an update ....

I have been in Whitehorse just shy of two years now. On my first day in town I landed a job pulling wrenches at Subaru/Kia here in town, and a few months ago now I accepted an offer at Whitehorse Motors (good ol' Ford!).

Things have gone very, very well since the move on many fronts. My job is great, my ladyfriend is fantastic, hunting and fishing are tops ... even my little cabin out of town manages to get the job done! Lots of room for toys out there - still have the quad and plow unit and my B4000. Also, I found a 14' MiroCraft with a 15 horse and trailer, picked up a nice clean ol' Doo 700 Summit 144, grabbed a very nice '86 F250 6.9 oil burner 4x4, picked up an '03 Kia Rio gas saver and an '00 Subaru Legacy for some all-wheel traction. Quite the little fleet!

What a place of the country to be in : ) ... going outside to Vermilion, AB for a couple months to finish my apprenticeship school. Come April I should have my ticket! Can't ask for too much more.

·
Premium Member
4,280 Posts
Holy crap..I was just in town last fri to pick up a u-haul..I woulda stopped in for a B.S. I usually stop in to visit with Bradley and Lorne anyway..Glad you're enjoying the Yukon.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You guys are making me miss Fort St. John. Not looking forward to the coming winter in Stabmonton. It's always beautiful up north, though. Even blizzards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I moved up to Whitehorse from Calgary two years ago and just joined this forum after purchasing a 2013 Ford F-150 FX4 SuperCrew last month. I'm enjoying it so far but don't know too many people in town still since I worked out of province for a bit.

I'm headed on a road trip to visit an Aunt and Uncle in Smithers in a couple weeks and can't wait to hit the wide open highway with my new 5.0L.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts