Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
I am a new guy in town at Ford Tough.ca have posted in introductions and Ontario. I am 66 had a love affair with vehicles all my life 1st build at 17 years old high school kid was a 1934 Ford. I presently have a 1969 Chevelle that took me 6 years to build a keeper. I would like to buy a Ford lightning this spring as our daughter is taking our Ford Escape so I want to have fun plus move a 19 foot boat around. I have been looking at lightnings for a couple years but now doing a lot of reasearch for this pending move. I am becoming a bit nervous about maintenace as well as the blowout spark plug problem. I recently spoke with a guy that had to spend $700 to replace spark plugs in his 5.4 triton. Two were seized in the aluminum head then broke off. I am looking at a 2000 svt lightning with 113,000 kms on it so wanting to talk to you lightning folks about problems. I have gleaned a lot of info from
www.svtlightning.com FQA. If someone had a bit of time to speak with me I would really appricate this and maybe you know of a nice clean winter free lightning available for sale.
Thank you so much look forward to any relies or you could email me at [email protected] regards tim

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
spark plugs on the lightning dont get stuck in and break like the 04+
if your an average garage guys lighting plugs can be changed in a few hours.

find out if the inter cooler recall was done. the 99/00 models had a 9 row intercooler which tend to leak,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you what would you torque them at dry or with anti-seize ??? tkx . Depending what year I get going to get a shop manual if I can find one. Tkx again for info tim

·
Registered
270 Posts
Like Blair said, make sure inter cooler recall was done on an early one
Your best bet is to buy an 03-04
They had more threads for the plugs, earlier ones sometimes spit the plugs out.
I've had mine for about 4 years now and still love driving it.
I've kept mine close to stock, and have had no issues with it

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Like Blair said, make sure inter cooler recall was done on an early one
Your best bet is to buy an 03-04
They had more threads for the plugs, earlier ones sometimes spit the plugs out.
I've had mine for about 4 years now and still love driving it.
I've kept mine close to stock, and have had no issues with it
And I have lots of mods and 8 years with no blown plug

·
Registered
270 Posts
Mines only near stock because I have too many projects to spend my cash on lately
Otherwise there'd be a twin screw on top of it
They're good reliable trucks

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Mines only near stock because I have too many projects to spend my cash on lately
Otherwise there'd be a twin screw on top of it
They're good reliable trucks
I have twin screw. 15lbs boost. Supporting mods. Stock block.

·
Registered
887 Posts
5.4 2 valve motors don't have the problem with the spark plugs getting stuck and breaking off
instead they blow the plugs outta the head - mine also broke the tab for the coil hold down bolt off too so I needed a new coil + the thread repair

if the motor starts to tic like it has a bad lifter or a small exhaust leak - tighten the plugs, they have backed out of the holes

that and the coils fail with dependable regurlarity

cost me 8 hun last fall to get the thread fixed , change all 8 plugs and buy 1 coil

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your input guys . I have been nosing around other places and find what [I Like Fords Too ] says spark plug blowout after ticking or the sound of exhaust leak. I am trying to get as knowledgeable as I can but looking forward to finding a decent L. Did you use Ford plugs in your repair or the NGK TR6 as some guys have ??
Tkx again

·
Registered
887 Posts
I took the truck to the local ford dealer to get it fixed so I'd presume it got ford plugs

and ya , I wish I'd known about the plug blow out issue - I drove it for about a year thinkin I needed a new lifter or set of lifters

would have been nice to know about it sooner - I have a new set of lifters and a couple of new rockers that the cost of would have been better spent elsewhere

and I was thinkin the coils were the only problem .....

one other thing I've learned too , - bump the windows down just a tad from all the way up
not so that there's a gap at the top but just enough the glass isn't ramed into the weather strip at the top of the door
this helps get the window down on a cold morning when stopin at Timmie's

- should add mine's just an f150 - life without boost just sucks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm Got an email from the guy advertising his L says he wants to keep it. I was kind of keen on this truck 113,000 kms kenne bell charger,headers, shift kit but hey a good one to keep I guess. I just want to find a real good one tkx for all the info tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi there - have not been in here for a long time had a very difficult time with my dad. He is in a home turning 95 he is not having fun nor is the family. Anyway never lost the desire for a lightning so found one have a down payment on it hope to get it home in 10 days or so. It is a 2004 silver with only 12 thousand Kms on it . Older chap has a folder with every piece of paperwork. It is # 30?? of the 3,781 for 04. Looking forward to spending some time with lightning guys maybe meet at a show if someone can tell me they might be. I am going to leave this stock it is so nice. Would like to speak with some lightning folks if you have phone numbers thank you tim

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
lightnings are so overpriced in canada. hope you didn't pay too much for it. i would have took a trip to merica to get one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
5.4 2 valve motors don't have the problem with the spark plugs getting stuck and breaking off
instead they blow the plugs outta the head
+1!! I had this problem!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts