Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I remember reading somewhere in a different forum that the the 4.2L engines could be picky about the type of spark plugs they use. I cant find that post on the other forums anymore but basically it said that unless you use strictly Motorcraft plugs the engines would run a little rough.

Last year I replaced my old plugs ( and they needed it bad), I put in a set of Bosch, a new PCV valve and new plug wires and since then the truck seems to idle rough. At times it even almost stalls. I was wondering if I switched to Motorcraft plugs if that would make a difference or is there something else I should be looking at?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Paul.

·
Registered
54 Posts
motorcraft all the way (or autolite, same thing) fords love 'em, I have no exp. with the newer engines but on the older ones 289'302'351'428 etc there is a differance, never, ever buy champion -biggest crap ever, bosch are good for imports...my opinion after 25 yrs working on fords

·
Registered
82 Posts
i have heard good things about autolite. I just recently bought NGK ($30)plugs for my 4.2L and have seen no problems yet.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update..after 2 days running with the crappy Bosch(May '07) I put in a set of Autolite Dbl Plats. Runs smooth as silk now. For the 4.2s they only seem to like Motorcraft, Autolite or Denso Iridium. Some ppl have had no issues with NGK or Bosch but its rare.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My motto is if its a Ford put MotorCraft plugs in it.
I've always done this and never had any issues, even with my drag car.:icon_biggrin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts