Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day folks. I have found this site in an effort to track down an axle for my Ranger.
I purchased a wrecked 06 Ranger and have completed all the body work. I found it had a bent axle and I am stuck until I get it replaced. All my searches have turned up nothing under 500 bucks but the body repairs have tapped me out. I'm hoping the good folks here can help me out and point me in the right direction. I'm really hoping someone will have an extra axle that they are willing to part with for a good price.

The info I have at this point is... 2WD, automatic, 4.10 gears, 8" ring, I have to pull the axle to count the splines.
I am located south of Hamilton Ont.
I will formally introduce myself in the appropriate forum later and include before and after pics of my new truck.

I will be needing other parts as well after I get the truck inspected.

Thanx a bunch. I hope you can help me out.
J.P. Rap

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
The only other way I can think of without paying at least a few hundered dollars is to start calling every scrap yard...I know SKRWZ built his own custom rear end because it was cheaper to do so, but I think that would still be out of your budget if your already tapped out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only other way I can think of without paying at least a few hundered dollars is to start calling every scrap yard...I know SKRWZ built his own custom rear end because it was cheaper to do so, but I think that would still be out of your budget if your already tapped out.
Thanx Bush. I've called around but nobody wants to sell just the axle. Complete rear end or nothing.:icon_cry:
Can't really say I blame them. I thought maybe it could be straightened but that would likely cost just as much and I would have a sub standard axle.
I'm hoping for a miracle.:icon_surprised:

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
have you checked with a dealership for oem parts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have you checked with a dealership for oem parts?
No I haven't but I may have no other choice. As I said, the body repair has left me tapped out. If all else fails I'll have to go to a dealer but that means several more weeks until I have the funds to put the truck on the road. I'm hoping to find a used one at a reasonable price. The bent axle was a complete surprise. Everything else has been checked and that's the only thing holding me up right now.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yea, I went through an axle shaft in my 07 Ranger, and after taxes and labour I paid just over 500 at the dealer... may be your best bet.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You should check out some 4x4 sites. I picked up a 9"rear and a 44 front for my Bronco for 200$ and they are both complete with spare parts for both. Oh and my old 9" is already sold or I would offer you that one. A 9" in a Ranger would be awsome.

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey JP I put in my yukon axles in my truck thier stonger then OEM I got mine from complete off road they were great to deal with and top notch you could also try Randy's ring + pinion check out these links I doubut youll find better prices up here

http://completeoffroad.com/c-59895-8-8-axles.html

http://www.ringpinion.com/PartsList...les+&+Axle+Bearings+&CatType=Sub-Differential
Thanx for the links. Those are great prices. I'm still trying to get the bent axle out. I've never done one before so I'm taking it slow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should check out some 4x4 sites. I picked up a 9"rear and a 44 front for my Bronco for 200$ and they are both complete with spare parts for both. Oh and my old 9" is already sold or I would offer you that one. A 9" in a Ranger would be awsome.
Thanx, can you recomend any particular sites?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
axle removal

OK, I have searched for instructions but haven't found any. I will eventually get a manual but right now I just need to get this axle out.
I believe I have to undo the retaining bolt to drive the pin out then push the axle in to remove the C clip. Correct?
I am concerned about the LS "S" clip. will I have to compress that to re-install it? do I need to mark any gears or anything?
any tips?
TIA

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
Here you go take from the 98 ford serve manual for an 8.8 all 8.8 should be the same though, hope this helps

-----------------------------------------------------------

Axle Shaft

Removal

1. Raise and support the vehicle.

2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.

3. Remove the axle housing cover (4033) and drain the lubricant; refer to Axle Housing Cover in this section.

4. Remove the rear brake drums (1126).

µ 5. Remove the differential pinion shaft (4211).

1 Remove the differential pinion shaft lock bolt.

2 Remove the differential pinion shaft.

µ 6. CAUTION:
Do not damage the rubber O-rings in the U-washer grooves.

Remove the u-washers (4N237).

1 Push the axle shafts (4234) inboard.

2 Remove the u-washers.

µ 7. CAUTION:
Do not damage the inner wheel bearing oil seal (1177).

Remove the two axle shafts.

Installation

1. Lubricate the lip of the inner wheel bearing oil seal.

l Use Premium Long-Life Grease XG-1-C or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESA-M1C75-B.

µ 2. CAUTION:
Do not damage the inner wheel bearing oil seal.

Install the two axle shafts.

µ 3. CAUTION:
Do not damage the rubber O-rings in the U-washer grooves.

Install the u-washers.

1 Position the two u-washer on the button end of the axle shafts.

2 Pull the axle shafts outward.

µ 4. Install the differential pinion shaft.

1 Align the hole in the differential pinion shaft with the case lock bolt hole.

2 Install the differential pinion shaft lock bolt.

5. Install the rear brake drums; refer to «Section 206-02».

6. Install the axle housing cover and fill the rear axle housing (4010) with 2.37 liters (5 pints) of Thermally Stable Rear Axle Lubricant XY-80W90-QL or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSP-M2C197-A.

7. WARNING:
Always remove any corrosion, dirt or foreign material present on the mounting surfaces of the wheels or the surface of the wheel hub or brake drum, that contacts the wheels. Installing axle housing covers without proper metal-to-metal contact at the wheel mounting surfaces can cause the lug nut to loosen and the wheel to come off while the vehicle is in motion, causing loss of control.

Clean the wheel hub and mounting surfaces.

µ 8. Install the tire and wheel assembly.

1 Position the tire and wheel assembly.

2 Install the lug nuts (1012) and lower the vehicle.

3 Tighten the lug nuts.

4 Install the center cap.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You can check out 4wheeler.ca or adventureoffroad.ca those are the only ones I can think of right now. I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SKRWZ...Thanx a bunch for the speedy reply. That's just what I needed. There is no reference in those instructions to the "S" spring so I assume it's not LS. I'll just have to be careful removing the spring in case it under compression.
I'll let you know how I make out.

Fordwheeler...Thanx for the links. I'll check them out after I get this axle out. And thanx for keeping your eyes peeled. It's much appreciated.
Cheers.

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
Dont be intimidated by it it's not that hard..and good luck

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
once you get it out id assume its a generic axle from just about any ranger/explorer/bronco 11 you'll be able to tell the splines length exc. keep an eye in the smartshopper/tri add or even search online out of the states not to long ago there was a 2000+ ranger that was rolled hard in the triadd for parts

maybe ask a ford dealer if the part can be cross refrinced with others so you know forsure what axles will fit from different vehicals

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The axle is out. I had a bit of trouble with it but nothing serious. I actually did a lot more work then was necessary. As it turns out, the S spring doesn't need to come out (I didn't take it out) so that saved a bit of headache.
Thanx for the help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The axle is out. I had a bit of trouble with it but nothing serious. I actually did a lot more work then was necessary. As it turns out, the S spring doesn't need to come out (I didn't take it out) so that saved a bit of headache.
Thanx for the help.
LOL, I was just going to post that you needn't worry about the s spring, but I see you've already done it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't be intimidated by it it's not that hard..and good luck
I appreciate what your saying but it's not really intimidation. I'll tackle just about anything short of brain surgery (unless you pay up front;)) . I just don't like jumping in with no information. Having done it once now, I know what my mistakes were and I won't make them again. I try to learn by others mistakes and save myself the headaches of learning by my own.:icon_eek:
I took a bunch of pictures of the process and will post them in an effort to help other newbies like me. It's a very simple job but knowing what you're up against before you start goes a long way.
Is there a particular forum I should post them in?

BTW... Just to be sure I wasn't changing a good axle, I mounted it in my lathe. It sure is bent!!! :icon_eek: I honestly don't know how someone could bend an axle that bad without bending the rim.:icon_question:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts