Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know my rear diff is the 8.8" with 3.08 gears.

My questions are Can you switch the internals from non-LS to LS?
I would prefer to stick with the same gear ratio for better MPG.
If so, and I can keep the same gears, will it be expensive and will I need to make any changes to the tranny shift points with a new diff?

Theres probably a ton of things I left out or didn't think of so any input would be great.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The best thing to do is probably just change the rear housing an all Because what you say will work but the time with taking apart getting rear end set up endplay sideplay and gear mesh It would be more money then putting in one with the same gears and housing as buying one from wrecker already done

·
Registered
824 Posts
The best thing to do is probably just change the rear housing an all Because what you say will work but the time with taking apart getting rear end set up endplay sideplay and gear mesh It would be more money then putting in one with the same gears and housing as buying one from wrecker already done
exactly
try getting an axle from a scrapyard maybe?
maybe my dad could use yours, his truck is identical and makes a bad bad noise in the rear
:icon_eek:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well since I last posted thread I've put off on the new rear till next year. Going to swap out the open diff for a Detroit Tru-trac LS, still on the fence as to gear ratio though. I'd like 4.10s for more torque but I think they might hurt mpg a bit too much for my liking. Most likely going with 3.73s.

·
Registered
824 Posts
4.10s are a good size for the 8.8 but so is 3.73s
your call
I would go with 3.73s if I were you

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
3:73 gears should work good if you travel highway alot as far as changing over to a l/s carrier if reusing original gears is a fairly easy swap just change over ring gear to carrier and reuse original side shims (is usualy within .001" of original backlash):)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
most of my driving is city, a few trips to the track each year and 2-3 long hwy trips so I think 3.73s look like the best bet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts