Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello FordTough community. I'm curious how common it is to have the rear window shatter in the power rear windows?

Backstory, I have a 2013 FX4, crew cab, 5L with about 210000 kms. In June 2016 I had to replace the rear window after it shattered on a cool May morning. I now have to replace the rear window again after it shattered in January of this year!

In 2016, Ford covered half the cost under some kind of warranty program. This year they say I'm on the hook for the full thing. I spoke to the regional service manager and was told "I'm so sorry there's nothing we can do". I reiterated that this has to be a defect issue as how does a rear window just up and shatter?

Long story short, I was told to save my receipts in case a recall comes out. I was informed that if enough owners complained Ford may do something. I was lead to believe that they have not received that many complaints as most owners replace the window without complaining, which I can't believe.

Now I get that this is a 5 year old truck (new in November 2013), but I believe a rear window should last more than three years. So am I just lucky or is this a more common problem than I've been lead to believe.

Thanks much.

·
Super Moderator
1,731 Posts
A little more common then one would think. I suspect the glass they are using is considerably weaker then much earlier vehicles. I have a 2004 F150 at work where the windshield just started to crack for no apparent reason. The 2004 F550 got a stone chip in it from a very small stone that was pretty round, as in no sharp corners, and yet my 1993 F250 has gone through so much and is chip and crack free. The layers haven't even started separating yet.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
My neighbour had a 2015 Edge that had the same thing happen his rear window, its more common than you think.

He was just driving along and said it sounded like a shotgun blast, don't know how accurate that was, or if he pissed off someone in the mafia, but the window shattered.

Unfortunately, if you're outside the warranty, there's not a lot of hope for compensation from the dealer, regardless if its a defect or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My neighbour had a 2015 Edge that had the same thing happen his rear window, its more common than you think.

He was just driving along and said it sounded like a shotgun blast, don't know how accurate that was, or if he pissed off someone in the mafia, but the window shattered.

Unfortunately, if you're outside the warranty, there's not a lot of hope for compensation from the dealer, regardless if its a defect or not.
SVT4MT, I can verify your neighbour's experience, I was in the truck both times the window shattered and it sounds like a massive stone or something hit the window. On a pickup with a BackRack that would be an incredibly acrobatic stone. The last time it happened I had a passenger in the back, very unsettling to say the least.

I get the dealership isn't going to do anything as they just sell the vehicles. I want Ford to cover a glaring defect. For the older crew think Pinto or Firestone tires, but a little less extreme. It's a defect they are aware of but don't want to pay to compensate for their short fall. If there is enough of a ground swell maybe we can get some action on this. I see a lot of older vehicles and owned a lot of vehicles and never gone through something like this with a rear window. Maybe this is like fighting City Hall, but I won't know unless I try.

Thanks to all for taking the time to read the post.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This also happened in March 2018 on our 2016 Explorer XLT,
Ford gave me some trouble on replacing it but they eventually caved and I had to pay the $100 deductible towards our Premium Care Warranty.
My wife was parked in a friends driveway when it happened and it was approximately -8' outside. Defrost on at the time it exploded while parked.
The dealership contracted out the glass replacement to a local shop, they confirmed that there was a gap between the rear window and rear hatch door frame and also the rear defrost contributed to the rear glass exploding.
Since replacing it in March 2018 we haven't had any issues yet !! Knock on wood !! Lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Road debris, stones, etc. might seem small, but they can cause much damage to your car's back glass. It's common for rocks and other debris to fly off the road and crash onto the back glass, often causing it to crack or even shatter completely. You can often see people driving with shattered rear windows. I also was driving with shattered windows, but it wasn't a big problem. I had a shade from https://snapshades.com.au/, covering the problems with the rear window, so I don't see the cracks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts