Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we got a bit of a cold spell here in alberta so today i found myself looking for the block heater cord on my truck. I tried looking in the manual but it didnt say where it was. I know i remember seeing it before but since its -46 with the wind chill i dont wanna spend too much time looking for it. The truck still starts in this weather and everything but i wanna give the new battery a little bit of a break at least. So if anyone can let me know where to look so i dont have to freeze my junk off. Its a 2004 F150 5.4L. Even if someone has a pic that would be awesome.

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found it. The reason i didnt see it earlier is because i was doin a little snowy off roading and that opening was full of snow and ice. Took a little bit of picking at it to open it up and there it was.

PS...God its cold out here.

· Premium Member
7,683 Posts
I believe you
When I went to Fort Albany at James Bay to work 2 years ago it was -40 with out wind and during the day it felt like summer,
but when the wind came
ouch
it felt like -60
When we took engine apart the bolts stuck to your fingers from the cold
Plug that heater
you will need it in the morning
BTW warm up the truck for about 30 min
Your transmission will be frozen in the morning

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya this morning was the same thing but i didnt have the block heater out. So i just hit the remote starter a couple times throughout the morning and let it run for about 15min before i went out to work. Thank god i got a remote starter put in lol.

· Registered
7 Posts
It's -44 here in Yellowknife and the night has just begun :icon_eek: Might want to think about getting a battery heater too; I always get a lot of cranking out of it when it's warm compared to cold. :icon_smile: Man, this weather is tough on vehicles... :icon_mad:

· Registered
7 Posts
Actually, it kinda makes me laugh when I hear of extreme winter weather warnings for a wind chill of -20 in Toronto. While living in Vancouver I noticed they called the extreme winter weather warning at -4! I suppose it's based on the number of homeless that live there?

There's been ice fog the last couple days here as well. And the power outage last night wasn't a great help either.. it's an eerie feeling with no power and -44 outside your door, especially when the sun sets at 4pm. You realize that without power, you're in some big trouble.

· Premium Member
7,683 Posts
Wow have to agree with power and cold
I bet you have a fire place, with out that oh no
I provide emergency power all the time, not for homes :(
They are too small for our gensets
Most of our gensets are used for Apartment buildings, hospitals, new constructions, malls. prime units in remote towns ....ETC
We did a job last year in February in Windsor Where they had to evacuate entire building of people to Temp Shelter, (electrical fire)
It was -25 deg C and we had to rotate floors with power on and off as the bus (electrical box) couldn't handle entire building load after the fire
men it was cold for those 3 days
Nothing froze in the building we kept it at 15 deg C
:)

· Registered
61 Posts
Actually, it kinda makes me laugh when I hear of extreme winter weather warnings for a wind chill of -20 in Toronto. While living in Vancouver I noticed they called the extreme winter weather warning at -4! I suppose it's based on the number of homeless that live there?

There's been ice fog the last couple days here as well. And the power outage last night wasn't a great help either.. it's an eerie feeling with no power and -44 outside your door, especially when the sun sets at 4pm. You realize that without power, you're in some big trouble.
Its funny you mention the power outtage. It was around -40 here yesterday and we have a couple of electric heaters in the basement just to help out with the warmth a little bit (my room is in the basement too.) Anyways I have a little heater in my room I crank up when I leave my room to go upstairs for a bit and well it popped the breaker and because I didn't ahve any of the lights on in the basement it looked like the power went out. I was like, "Well thats nice, I haven't had my truck plugged in and its -40 out, this is nice." Then I walked upstairs and noticed the lights were still on and breathed a sigh of relief.

One of the girls that comes nad hangs out with me and a bud once in a while always wants to go for a "rally" (consists of driving all the old backroads and do a little bit of very mild off-roading) I had to explain to her that if we get stuck outside of cell service in -40 and you can't keep the truck running or someone has to walk, dying could become a problem :icon_wink:

· Registered
2,303 Posts
At least you guys have a block heater, mine doesnt have one, but even if it did I have no place to plug it in, the parking garage at my building has no outlets for the tenants. Not that I even need where I live, it never gets cold enough to need one. Now if I was still living in North Bay or the Sault, then I'd be out buying one :icon_lol:

Damn glad I dont live where its -40 and dark at 4pm..too spooky for me.

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The thing i like is that no matter what the weather is here life always goes on and nothing really stops. Weve never had mass power outages as long as i can remember, nothing where roads all had to be closed or anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.