Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for a 2002 F350 7.3L dually, about 3/4 of the time if you push the winshield wiper/fluid button at idle the truck will stall if your driving, it misses really bad but doesent stall. It just came back from ford and they cant find were or what it is. Must be a short. Any ideas????

·
Registered
349 Posts
Only thing I can think of is loose wires....maybe causing it to ground out...?

·
Registered
19 Posts
find a wiring diagram and see what else the power and gorunds splice into.

like if the postive for the wiper run to another engine computer for power and the postive wire on the wiper has a shot it may cause the computer to act up.. this is just a example, not syaing theirs a computer and even a splice, but just check

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket remote start? The multifunction switch controls your lights and has an internal ground. It could be sending feedback via your lights to the remote start function and/or the crank sensor causing the engine to kill. Deactivate the remote start to confirm this. If so you need a new multi function switch would be my guess

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys thought I'd give an update really quick. Ford took a quick look again could not find, needed truck for work. We have started looking hear and there for some loose wires. Mabe try to pull some fuses tomorrow see what happens, and try to figure out how to disable remote start.
It's getting worse...FUN...

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I was board out of my brain today and was looking over this quarter's Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off-Road mag for the tenth time when I came accross this, havent had too much time to look into the matter yet. Can't find fueses or wires with issues and it's a factory installed remote starter.....It rarely actually stalls though just misses really bad mostly when you hit the wiper juice...
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I was board out of my brain today and was looking over this quarter's Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off-Road mag for the tenth time when I came accross this, havent had too much time to look into the matter yet. Can't find fueses or wires with issues and it's a factory installed remote starter.....It rarely actually stalls though just misses really bad mostly when you hit the wiper juice...
[/URL][/IMG]

They are refering to the cam position sensor. This is such a common failure that most of the full time RVers that I know that have a 7.3 carry a spare with them. Is there any codes being set? I looked over the factory wiring schematic and it looks like there must be a short in the wiring, not a back feed problem, that is assuming it is a cam position sensor problem. Does the gear selection display read funny when this happens? That is about the only circuit I can see that is close to the cam sensor that might cause a problem.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ford could never locate the issue an neither could we but the problem went away after a few months....

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
So did ford change the sensor? or did you just keep driving it hope to see if it fixes it self ?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They never addressed the problem, said they could not duplicate the conditions to make it buck\stall and noting else was out of the ordinary. They said they looked for the problem like ten different times over the past 6 months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you head out into the bush in that truck wouldnt be a bad idea to have a spare cam position sensor. Nothin like being broke down 100km into the bush. (Speaking from experience here)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nothing like being broke down 100km into the bush. (Speaking from experience here)
That's why we always have satelite phones everywhere we go, I live in the bush:icon_biggrin: we get towed out at least four or five times a year between five work trucks, every time I go home the 250 goes strait to Ford to get inspected or fix any small thing...keep it reliable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
my uncle had this problem w/ his 350 7.3 dually... stranded him three times including once in Vegas... three tow jobs, three cam position sensors later and a whole whack of dickin around troubleshooting.... his repair bills at ford totalled $2500 which was never reimbursed... finally this recall came out, they fixed it and hasn't had the problem since.... Im guessing this is the same issue... dunno what the washer/wiper has to do with it tho?!?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts