Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else having this problem on there 4.6? The dealer said it was a known problem but they dont have a fix out yet (how about a complete K&N kit?), It only seems to do it when its really cold out. THats pretty well every day in wonderful Petawawa though. Its not hurting anything but it is pretty annoying on a long drive. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just recently started getting the same thing.....when its really cold. But when the truck warms up it stops. WTF!!!! I thought it was my heater motor, or a bad serpentine belt, but could be a intake whistle. :icon_sad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ford has a problem with their alternators, they create a high pitched whistle sound almost like a microphone being too close to an amp. Its throttle/engine speed linked and its only when its cold like below zero out. My truck is doing the same thing, just havent gotten around to replacing it yet. Ive done many alternators from trucks to explorers for this issue. As far as I know its just irritating but wont strand you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The problem could be a bad idler or tensioner pulley. Another issue is the idle air control motor which has caused some similar noises. These are just some of the things I ran across with the 4.6 during my 9 1/2 years as a Ford dealer service manager.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The problem could be a bad idler or tensioner pulley. Another issue is the idle air control motor which has caused some similar noises. These are just some of the things I ran across with the 4.6 during my 9 1/2 years as a Ford dealer service manager.
Where is the idle air control motor located??? I'm getting similar noises and it is throttle linked. By this i say when it happens if i let my foot off the gas or step on it it goes away. The noise sounds like its right in the cab with me. And yes its only when its cold out.

Is this a TSB????

·
Registered
13 Posts
The idle air control motor is located on the intake manifold close to the throttle body. Ford tech hotline had told me it applied to the older 4.6 & 5.4 engines 97-98 era.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ford has a problem with their alternators, they create a high pitched whistle sound almost like a microphone being too close to an amp. Its throttle/engine speed linked and its only when its cold like below zero out. My truck is doing the same thing, just havent gotten around to replacing it yet. Ive done many alternators from trucks to explorers for this issue. As far as I know its just irritating but wont strand you.
Mine does it also when its cold. Like the above poster said its a alternator issue. There is no fix and it does no harm. I think the only way to fix is have the alternator replaced. If your under warranty great but if not it not worth the money so don't worry about it.
Sounds kinda cool sometimes. It sounds like a turbo winding up.:icon_lol: And it only shows up a certain rpms.:icon_eek:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I get a squeaking sound from my v6 but only when its very cold or damp. I'm sure it just the belt slipping cuz once the motor warms up it goes away. I tried to have mechanic tighten it more but he said he cant cuz its got an automatic tensioner, so I just live with it. But what I find strange is that it never did this before with the old belt, only with the new one. I sure hope its not my alternator cuz I just spent some $ to replace my starter.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Mine does it also when its cold. Like the above poster said its a alternator issue. There is no fix and it does no harm. I think the only way to fix is have the alternator replaced. If your under warranty great but if not it not worth the money so don't worry about it.
Sounds kinda cool sometimes. It sounds like a turbo winding up.:icon_lol: And it only shows up a certain rpms.:icon_eek:
The last couple cold mornings I have had this whisle.
I wonder how much grief will I get from FoMoCo when I bring it in and indicate it may be an alternator? How can this be tested without it sitting and getting VERY cold outside?
Hoping someone can provide a good catch phrase to catch the attention of the service guy.

Please and thank you!?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just self diagnosed the Alternator solution (based on these forums), and described it to my local service department... they must have thought about it for a minute or two after I hung up with them, and they called me back saying they'd order a new one in and have it installed under warranty. Seems like they may know more about this problem than they're letting on...

I was however pleasantly surprised that they looked up the end date for my warranty in their system and are making sure it's put in by then (month from now). How's that for a Friday afternoon "Pick me up"!!!

I'll update the forum after it's installed (and it's cold).

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Hmmm..I wonder if the bearings are sealed on the 97s, cuz whenever its really cold or damp and the truck has been sitting overnight there is a squealing/squeaking noise that goes away once the truck has warmed up after about 10 min of driving. I thought it was just the drive belt but after trying some belt dressing the noise stayed. Sounds like a good excuse for a UDP kit :icon_lol:

·
Registered
897 Posts
My trucks' whine does not go away when the truck warms up. (I've offered some cheese with the whine and all, nada.)
It comes and goes. Cold air and I get the whine.
Frustrating as heck & worried about it failing completely and me being stuck on the side of the road.

I'm glad I have an app't to bring her in under warranty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Folks...

I have a similar problem, it has driving me crazy and it has done that all winter.

The whining or whistling sound when I hit close to 2000 RPM and stops around 2500. Sometimes a bit higher, sometimes a bit lower..

I have checked all the Vacuum, the PCV valve.

What makes it hard to pinpoint is that it does that only when driving. If I rev it up in the driveway, I cannot get it to do it.

When driving on highway, it is almost constant as on overdrive.. it goes around 2200 RPM

My truck is a Ford Ranger 1997 with a 3.0L automatic...

For a while I thought it was a bad ground and was coming out of the speakers..but I removed the fuse of the radio so it is definitely not that.

This is driving me NUTS...

I have recorded it with my MP3 players...

Crank up the volume.. let me know if it is the same whining you get

http://rapidshare.com/files/94048940/V0003.WAV

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just self diagnosed the Alternator solution (based on these forums), and described it to my local service department... they must have thought about it for a minute or two after I hung up with them, and they called me back saying they'd order a new one in and have it installed under warranty. Seems like they may know more about this problem than they're letting on...

I was however pleasantly surprised that they looked up the end date for my warranty in their system and are making sure it's put in by then (month from now). How's that for a Friday afternoon "Pick me up"!!!

I'll update the forum after it's installed (and it's cold).
Just had my alternator replaced - temp dropped to -16c - Squeal is GONE!

Note Regarding my Dealer: Sad that you have to self-diagnose problems like this - my service guy said he's replaced 5 already this winter for the same reason. It's almost like they know about this issue, but don't want to make it public (FREE ALTERNATORS FOR EVERYONE!!!!)...

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is awesome news for you..

Nice to know..

I am having a problem. Mine has stopped doing the noise saturday morning.
I thought it was because it was warm. But today is -16c also and still no noise.

I am getting tired of that too.. I might order an alternator on Ebay LOL

Cheers

Paul

1 - 19 of 19 Posts