Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel froze up on me last winter untill I put some winter fuel treatment into it. This year I want to get a jump on it so at what temp should I be putting it in at? It's already getting below 0 at night here.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll keep a bottle in the truck ready for -10

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
if your really worried i know they make em for big rigs but im sure ive seen them for pickups, fuel tank warmers basicaly a heating blanket you wrap the tank in and plug in like the block heater

for condnsation youd still need an additive but the heaters an idea

they aso make hockey puck size magnet heaters stick on (if its a meteltank) and plug in work great keeping hydrolic tanks from going solid

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
haha u should see what fluids do at -50

pretty neat seeing a cup of water tossed in the air and freeze before hitting the ground brrrrr :icon_eek:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I have heard of them but never saw them for pickups. I was also told about an oilpan heater that works the same way as the fueltank heater but never saw them either. Anyone know of a company that might sell stuff like this?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I know about those but I am looking for someone who sells oilpan and feul tank heaters. Thanks though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use Howes additive. Anit Gel and conditioner, temps well below -40 here, No problems.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I use a fuel conditioner every time I put fuel in my truck. When temps start to get below freezing I switch to something with the anti gel in it.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
it's also a good idea to use a additive with a cetane booter also because we get crap fuel in canada(especially in winter)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Last year I had some cold weather starting issues with my 6.0 ltr diesel.

I found that by plugging in my factory block heater helped morning starts at home, however, after being parked at an airport for several cold days, I still had start up issues.

This winter I now put in the Ford fuel conditioner with every fillup during the winter, which has the cetane booster mentioned above. Cold startups seem to be much quicker now.

Block heaters and heating pads help lots, mine starts like a 'champ' when plugged in, but if you are parked in the middle of nowhere, with no hydro, they don't do much!

That's why I elected to add the fuel conditioner. From what I understand, the conditioner extends fuel pump and injector life and the cetane additive provides better fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
for guys who spend there time in the middle of nowhere we have installed diesel fired engine heaters(by wabasto)they work great when the extention cord isn't long enough!:)

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've been looking at those heaters, I was looking at the cabin/ engine heater for several years but just can't seem to part with my money for one. I was also lookig at the Espar brand. I'm sure I will see them again this year at the truck show in Louisville in a month and get all jackup up about buying one then doing nothing about it. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I drove a school bus for a few days that was equipped with a webasto. In one word… Awesome. In two hours it could warm the coolant up to the point where warmish air came from the heater at startup.

I wanted one for my pickup but they are expensive. I came up with a poorman's solution. I took one of those 300$ gensets from Canadian tire and built a new frame for it that mounts under the box of my truck. It has removable panels to protect it while driving. I ran the wires up to the toolbox were I’m mounting the generators original panel. From there I’m running a cable to the bumper( maybe the cab too) where I can plug the block heater into the generator.
I figure the gas generator is much easier to start in the cold, it will run the block heater, I could leave it running all night for cheap, and I can plug the 5th wheel into it while camping.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts