Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just gonna post quick as the wife wants the computer. LOL.

I been planning the next truck will get 4 winter tires. Whether 2wd or 4wd. Now if 4wd, I was planning just one set of aggressive Mud Tires. Like say the BF Goodrich Mud Terrains as they run pretty good in snow and I'm anal about winter tires.

Now I was assuming if I get a 2wd Super Duty to get winters but am now thinking a Mud tires.

So, any of you lot have experience with running a Mud or All Terrain tire as a snow? How do they work?

Even if not, tell me what you run all winter and how you feel about them. All opinions welcome. (Or I wouldn't ask the question. LOL.)

· Registered
161 Posts
I've run the BFG AT before and they are really good in the winter. They last a long time also.

· Registered
324 Posts
well i ran 49" Iroks for the mud and such wicked results , great in rain rocks shitty on Ice , so for winters i ran Mtr's and found them to be the best all round tire. put about 25,000 km with no wear whats so ever. As well the side walls have kevlar in them,
most serious rock crawler guys run them and with beadlocks i think there unstopable

· Registered
2,101 Posts
I have run BFG T/A's on my F150 for a while now A++(Better then mud's on hardpacked/ice), Work trucks all F350's have BFG's mud's also A++ (better than T/A's in deep snow) We also have 2 F350's with the Toyo M-55 A++ also, but I like the BFG's more.....My F250 has regular BFG all terrains B-. Switching to 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ's for my F150 real soon..Hope your not lying Smoke:icon_biggrin:

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have run BFG T/A's on my F150 for a while now A++(Better then mud's on hardpacked/ice), Work trucks all F350's have BFG's mud's also A++ (better than T/A's in deep snow) We also have 2 F350's with the Toyo M-55 A++ also, but I like the BFG's more.....My F250 has regular BFG all terrains B-. Switching to 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ's for my F150 real soon..Hope your not lying Smoke:icon_biggrin:
That's pretty much how I saw it a few years ago in a comparison article. So I think the Muds have it for me as I'm more concerned about pushing through bumper height and higher snow than ice so much. LOL.

Sidenote: A couple years ago I remember delivering to a customer ijn Bolton. Now the F250 only had all seasons on it and of course was 2wd and behind this customer's shop there's normally a bit of a "turn around" behind the parking. Of course this day that area was under 3ft plus of snow but I drove through and went around the "circle". I had to laugh as I come back around and his mechanic is watching me with that "This idiot is about to get SO STUCK" look on his face.

What he didn't know though was I had a 2000 lb skid of windshield washer fluid in the back. HAHAHAAA!!!!!!

I waited a little bit before I told him just to make him wonder.

I definitely will go the Mud tire route with a 4x4 and am still deciding with a 2wd whether to use a more "street oriented" tire in summer and dedicated snows as I would build a more serious 4x4 once we move from the city. i'm not sure if an all-terrain/mud tire would make any sense on a 2wd truck for me as it would be primarily at worse gravel backroads for it.

One dealer I worked for put winters on the parts truck real fast when (I don't know if anyone remembers in Toronto about 4 years ago we had a REAL bad week of black ice/freezing rain that pretty much shut the city down??) on the morning run up the 410 to Brampton I spun the truck on black ice at 6:30 in the morning in traffic. Went around about 4-5 times in each direction gunning it away from the guardrails as traffic passed by and finally threw it in reverse and FLOORED it to break the spin and managed to get on the right shoulder backwards!!

I took my hands off the wheel and they were literally shaking. LOL. We had a set of snows in by noon! LOL. Dispatcher said I had a guardian angel. Wife said "Good thing you can drive!" to which I repled "If I could DRIVE, I wouldn't have spun!" LOL.

But yeah. I also told them all the same thing. "Good thing I spent so much time playing rally driver when I was younger!!" HAHA.

· Registered
23 Posts
Ouch, looks like im going to be the only BFG hater in here. A true mud tire will never be "great" in the compact stuff. Syping can definitly help, but potential is low from the get go. Ive ran a bunch of differnet crap in the snow, from my Rockers with lockers, to Xterrains on the superduty, BFG A/T's, Grabbers, and a couple others, you just cant compete with a descent winter tire. Can you get by with blocky tread mud tires, yeah...but if i was hauling a kid around, or letting the wifie drive the rig, i wouldnt take the chance. I was a tire weasle for a bunch of years, so i got to see alot of crazy things people run for winter.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ouch, looks like im going to be the only BFG hater in here. A true mud tire will never be "great" in the compact stuff. Syping can definitly help, but potential is low from the get go. Ive ran a bunch of differnet crap in the snow, from my Rockers with lockers, to Xterrains on the superduty, BFG A/T's, Grabbers, and a couple others, you just cant compete with a descent winter tire. Can you get by with blocky tread mud tires, yeah...but if i was hauling a kid around, or letting the wifie drive the rig, i wouldnt take the chance. I was a tire weasle for a bunch of years, so i got to see alot of crazy things people run for winter.
Yeah. I took a course in tire technology many moons ago. Always leaned towards a dedicated winter tire but have been thinking in a lot of situations an a/t or Mud tire seems to perform as well. Which is why I asked this question as I've seen comparisons between the Mud vs All Terrain in snow but none of those tests involved a dedicated winter tires.

I've never quite gotten around to building an off-road truck. One day. Right now, my priority is when we get "mobile" again to get a family hauler which is why I lean towards RWD with an LSD.

As for winters, well, I know that difference from say all seasons.

My old Crown 'Vic on the icey backroad i lived on a decade or so ago would get "squirrelly" as I peaked a hill with all seasons at 70 km/h. With 4 Good year "Ice" radials, I could peak the same hills at 130 rock steady. I know one year even here in Toronto one hill where I drove up before and after putting the winters on. With the all seasons, it was sideways and backing off the gas at 20 km/h and with the winters on the next day it walked that hill with no wheelspin at all. LOL.

Used to love walking the FWDers and SUVs off the line in deep snow. Heeheehee.

I know the F250 I drove had all seasons but they had a pretty agressive M&S style tread. I also know what it's like to try to start from a stop on a hill here in Toronto in an unloaded pickup and getting tirespin and the idiot behind is 3" off the back bumper and moves 1" everytime I do!! And I know the difference a set of snows makes on that same truck on that same hill when again, it walks up that hill and leaves the same turkey (different car! LOL) sitting there!

So yeah, you could say I'm a big believer in winter tires. I'm a bit anal with tires and also opinionated on the subject of winter driver. Like I firmly believe these "chain reaction accidents" on the 400 series of highway would drop dramamtically if the cops charged EVERY vehicle involved with careless driving! I also believe stability control should be banned, not legislated IN as they're trying to do because I believe that it's making dangerous drivers.

People NEED that "Oh Sh**" moment, even myself, to remind us to slow down. Unfortunately, many newer vehicles have taken that away and between that and traction control the salespeople at the dealers are brainwashing people into "You don't NEED winter tires with this". Uh huh.......

There's a BMW M5 up the street from me. I've saod to my wife, "When he crashes driving on Summer Performance rubber, is he going to blame winter conditions?"

Sorry. I done gone on a tangent. LOL. But I get sick and tired of people blaming their own stupidity on "weather".

Keep the info coming as I am curious to people's experiences.

· Registered
2,101 Posts
IMO if your a city driver winter tires all the way, but if you plan on entering plowd/unplowd back roads and trails and your gonna be in the bush for a while you'll have way more chances of getting out safe and easy with a GOOD set of off road tires when you get back to your truck and find a few feet of freshly unplowed road infront of you and your 100km's from the hwy. Done it with winter tires and well let's say I did alot of backup go Forward...gain 2 feet up hill.....back up go forward gain 3 feet up hill.........lol...sucks even more with a big trailer....Gotta love that buck when she no go up no more.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, as soon as we're in any position to get a vehicle again, we will be leaving the city as soon as possible. Been looking mostly aroung Thessalon/Bruce Mines but have been ranging anywhere from North Bay to Thunder Bay.

So, what do you guys think about:

Family/street truck: All terrains in summer w/dedicated winters on separate rims. LSD rear end.

4x4/trail truck: Mud Terrains. Whether BFG or other brands.

Also, these trucks will be pretty close to stock sizes as the 4x4 will stay stock height but get a rear locker/LSD.

I'm probably looking at late 90's F150s in both cases as I want a V8/5spd combo and so fgar this seems to be best "bang for the buck". LOL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.